DMS and Plate Chillers - How to control.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems the biggest complaint regarding plate chillers is the fact the DMS is continually produced in the time between the boil and the chill.

I am curious. Typical breweries use a plate exchanger system and have a much longer pipe run than do most HB'ers, thus extending the time from kettle to chiller and increasing the amount of time in the "DMS Zone".

What do the big boys do to limit DMS production between kettle and PE chillerz?

That's always been my question, too. If it's really a problem, they may continue to boil while they start pumping out through the chiller. That way, the wort in the kettle is continuing to drive off the DMS.

As a homebrewer, I recirculate the chilled wort back into the kettle to quickly reduce the entire volume below the temp where DMS is produced. I haven't had any problems that way.

Yes, but actually, I start recirculating (without the chilling water on) about 10 mins before knockout to sanitize my chiller and lines. ;) At knockout I turn on the chilling water. It only takes a few mins to get below 140º.

Back