Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of hops could replace the crystal? I can't seem to find any locally.

I made this beer today. Went smooth no stuck sparges. I did 5 gallon batch, 6lb 2row, 2lb flaked maize, .5lb flaked rice (from lhbs). Used 1oz Saaz hops. Got gravity of 1.043 so my efficiency was good. Only thing im worried about is the initial wort is awful brown. The clerk at the HBS didnt have flaked rice on the shelves. I asked him, and he went in back and came out with pound. I hope he heard RICE and not RYE. Im looking foward to a BMC looking beer to give to my friends. If by chance there was a miscommunication, what would flaked rye do to my beer?

I made this beer today. Went smooth no stuck sparges. I did 5 gallon batch, 6lb 2row, 2lb flaked maize, .5lb flaked rice (from lhbs). Used 1oz Saaz hops. Got gravity of 1.043 so my efficiency was good. Only thing im worried about is the initial wort is awful brown. The clerk at the HBS didnt have flaked rice on the shelves. I asked him, and he went in back and came out with pound. I hope he heard RICE and not RYE. Im looking foward to a BMC looking beer to give to my friends. If by chance there was a miscommunication, what would flaked rye do to my beer?

Well...you'd still have a three crops beer. :D

Flaked rice should have been white in the bag with no husks. It almost looks like instant potato flakes.

1/2 pound of rye will not make a bad beer...but a different beer. If indeed that's what you used, it will be a crisp, almost spicy flavor.

That sounds about right. I think I probably did get flaked rice then. I asked for it, he had alot of flaked rye on the shelves. The beer in fermenter has turned from brown to more orange color now. These colors are throwing me off, shouldnt it look yellow. Its 26 hours, and fermentation has started. I pitched the dry pack without hydrating. Getting lackluster results compared to my last ferments with starters and slurry yeast. I have big crausen layer, some floaty activity under and some co2, but no foam head. Hopefully its starts kicking hard soon! 66 degrees right now according to carboy temp strip. I closed the window in the fermenter room, as its about 30 degrees outside.

Hopefully this pic link works. Does this look about right Biermuncher? Its fermenting like mad, its 30 hours in, with a pitch of the safe ale 05 from the package, non hydrated. I think the color is off. The crausin is very thick, and is not bubbling. Usually my beers foam, and bubble at the top. This has a thick layer preventing that so far. But it has really took off in last 4 hours. 66 degrees.

Image of Cream of 3 crops ale, 30 hours. - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This should be my lightest colored beer, was just suprised its darker than the hefes Ive made. I feel much better that it got the seal of approval. Next pics will be when its done! Thanks Biermuncher. It has been lighter day by day. I hope to see through it sometime. But then again, without moss and gelatin, ive had poor luck with getting clear beer. This one got moss, and will get gelatin too, unless its real clear.

Picture214.jpg

Check out the pic of my primary. Its been about 15 or 16 days now. I had more yeast stalagmites in there before, its starting to clear, its about time. Is this normal? Im not to concerned, but I had like 5 or 6 of these before.

That one would almost make a starter! lol.

I made this about 10 days ago and I swear it was the funkiest looking carboy I have ever had. I didn't have a stalagmite like that one but WOW it was one butt ugly brew. !!!

I guess showing my lack of education :p

I would agree, a very fun fermentation. Just taking along time to settle, as all others ive made, im a newb, have been pretty quick and easy. But Ill let it go a couple days. That large piece is probably all I would have to rack around at this point.

Biermuncher-

Can you brew this with just the rice (up the rice and take out the corn)? What effect would this have?

How about rice and cane sugar? anyone tried using sugar with this recipe?

Biermuncher-

Can you brew this with just the rice (up the rice and take out the corn)? What effect would this have?

How about rice and cane sugar? anyone tried using sugar with this recipe?
This is a small enough recipe that too much in the way of simple cane sugar might give you some cider effect.

You could drop the corn all together and go with the rice in its place. I've been tempted to try it to see if I can dry this recipe out a bit.

so what does this usually cost to brew when not buying in bulk? $20 for 5gallons?

Muncher,

I just did this for my 3rd AG.
I'm trying it with WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend
for yeast.

I did 5 gal:
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked
.50 oz Cascade (60 min)

OG: 1.039 SG

I did my first starter for the yeast and wow did it make a difference!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

For my 5 gal, I did

6 lb 2 row
2 lb flaked maize
.5 lb flaked rice
1oz saaz hops 60min
Safe Ale 05.

OG 1.043

I did this as my first AG and used cream ale yeast we'll see how it comes out.
For my 5 gal I did

6 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked maize
1 lb Cracked corn
.5 lb min rice
.5oz Willamette 60 mins
.5oz Crystal 60 mins
.5oz Willamette 15mins

OG 1.039

Mine came out real good, I enjoy this beer. Going to have to savor it, lol, as all I got in pipeline is apfelwein!

So I want to make this one, but I'm only doing extract right now. So I plugged the original recipe into BeerSmith and converted it to extract and to do a 5 gallon batch. This is what I got:

3.3 oz Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) Extract
3 lbs 3.7 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
1 lbs 11.2 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar
.5 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops
.5 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (60 min)

A little help would be great.

so without reading through the whole thread, is this close to a budwieser clone, or does it just appeal to BMC drinkers

I finally made this, but unfortunately I didnt have all the stuff I needed. I used 12 pounds of 2-Row, 3 pounds of flaked corn, 1 pound of corn grit (i forgot to buy a 4th pound of flaked), and 1 pound of flaked rice. I had to substitue the hops with 1oz Fuggles, 1oz Spalt. I also had to make a substitution for the yeast. One carboy had Wyeast 1056, the other I had to used a packet of wine yeast. I hope it turns out... what do you think??

DSCF1585.JPG

I brewed a 5 gal batch of this on Sun. and it's bubbling away...:D

The OG came out higher at 1.050....That seems to be the norm with all my allgrain brews so far.

I used:

5.5 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs flaked corn
1.5 lbs minute rice
.5 oz Fuggles
.5 oz Liberty
Mashed 90 min
Boiled 90 min
Notty yeast

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it :rockin:

I decided to try out your recipe, although I had to alter it a bit. I used the following ingredients for 5 gallons:

6 lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
12 oz Minute rice
1/2 lb Caravienne
1 oz Willamette 60 mins
1/2 oz Crystal 10 mins
Yeast SO-5

Mashed according to BM's instructions:

Boiled: 60 minutes
Primary: 7 Days
Seconday: 10 Days
Bottled: 3/4 cup Priming Sugar/ Conditioned 4 weeks

My SWMBO tried this and it has become her favorite beer, she said it reminded her of an old western movie when the parched cowpoke walks into the saloon and orders up a cold one and takes a drink from the mug leaving behind a creamy froth on the cowpokes upper lip.

This beer is truly a Cowboys Beer

Cheers to you:mug:

Well I brewed this up yesterday as one of the beers to serve at my super bowl party. I will post back with the results.

Overall a pretty uneventful brew day. I had read some people say their efficiency stunk, so I did a 1/2 batch with 6.5 lbs pale, 2 lbs corn, and 1 lb of minute rice. I am not sure exactly what my efficiency was since nothing lists minute rice, but it was somewhere in the low 70s yielding 5.5 gal at 1.045 into the primary.

Two things I did learn - 1) I need more runnings for a 90 minute boil. I was almost a gallon low even after doing over 7 gallons pre-boil, so I had to add water to get my correct qty. 2) If this beer turns out to be one that I like I will do it in 10 gal batches. It requires so little work during the brew day, but takes so long due to the 90 minute mash and boil it really is best done as a 10 gallon recipe.

Just picked up the recipe today, along with Ed Worts Pale Ale for 48 bucks. I'll be keggin a Kolsch tomorrow and I'm debating on whether using the Kolsch yeast or the Safale 05 for the Cream Ale....hmmmm?

I went for the washed WL029 and the starter took off in less than 24 hours...
DSC016111.JPG

Boiling away, I went for a 75 minute boil rather than the 90, I started with 7+ gallons and ended up with a tad over 5.
DSC01615.JPG

I had a hard time getting a gravity reading, my hydro gives a different reading every time...:mad:...time to buy a refracto! I think it's a little high maybe 1.050ish.

hey all,
this question might have already been answered, but i didnt go through all 16 pgs...
Can you use flaked rice or does it have to be "minute" rice? im guessing the minute rice is modified in some way...
thanks,
Sam

hey all,
this question might have already been answered, but i didnt go through all 16 pgs...
Can you use flaked rice or does it have to be "minute" rice? im guessing the minute rice is modified in some way...
thanks,
Sam

Flaked rice is absolutely fine. Minute rice is just more convenient for those who don't want to go to the LHBS for flaked.

They are great substitutes for each other.

Just ordered

6lb Pale Malt 2Row
2lb Corn Flaked
1lb Minute Rice
1oz Fuggles (60min)
1tsp Irish Moss (15min)
1pk Safale S-04
1tsp Yeast Nutrient

This will be my first AG brew. Plan on using DeathBrewer's Stovetop method. Can't wait!

Man, not gonna lie that was the worst brew day i have had in a while. just about everything that could go wrong did....though i think the beer will be fine. i was missing temps left and right...and i kept on forgetting things. im a little rusty because i havent brewed in a while. I just did a SG sample and im at 1.011 and after tasting the sample i realiezed....i put in double the hops! I wasnt paying attention when converting from the original 10gal batch recipe to my 5 gal....and used the 2 oz of hops for my batch. its actually not THAT hoppy to me...but it kind of messes with the whole BMC thing. oh well, guess its a good thing i bought enough grain for 2 batches. and thank god for those hop prices coming down.

do you use the minute rice right out of the box? or do you have to crush it or something?

Back