blichmann temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insco2

Reaction score
hey any of you guys use the weldless probe? I need to know what size to drill my hole and i cant find the info. thanks

:) I just installed a weldless fitting and installed a weldless thermometer into that. Check out this websight--->http://www.zymico.com/
I just put the weldless fitting up to my wort pot and drew a outline and then drilled. I believe that it was a 7/8" hole. Then just add some plumbers tape the the thermometer and screw it in!!. I believe that I have a pic in my gallery. I will be doing the same when installing a quater turn ball valve.

i used the 7/8" bit when i drilled an kettle for the valve. should be the same for the thermometer too?????

DeRoux's Broux said:
i used the 7/8" bit when i drilled an kettle for the valve. should be the same for the thermometer too?????

What type of valve did you install...stainless steel or brass? I have heard that brass could give you some off flavors in your beer.:(

the brewometer that northern brewer offers, the weldless one, takes a 1/2" hole. what i have heard about brass is you have to soak the fitting in 2 parts white vinager and 1 part hydrogen peroxide to clean the lead off the fitting. I have not tried mine but i guess you wait for the brass to reach a buttery color. dont let it go for to long it will eat away until there is exposed lead. hope it helps. i got that info from the gentleman with the hermit system..tlsalior i think. hope it helps:rolleyes:

anthrobe said:
What type of valve did you install...stainless steel or brass? I have heard that brass could give you some off flavors in your beer.:(
i went w/ all stainless, but the brass is okay from what i've read/been told. i think a quick soak in water/vinegar mix will remove any surface lead from it. tnlandsailer uses all brass fittings as does beermaker.

Why would you want to expose your brew to lead anyway. Stainless is the only way to go

usmcruz said:
Why would you want to expose your brew to lead anyway. Stainless is the only way to go
well, it's less expensive, and with a simple one-time treatment, it's as good as stainless. so, for the frugal brewer, it's perfect. a good article in the recent BYO covers it all. tested and true.:cool:

Back