1 gallon batches for R&D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeylard

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a 3 gallon for primary, and 1 gallon for a secondary to make 1 gallon batches. I am wanting to do this for r&d for my own recipes. This way i'm not wasting a lot of beer and money if it doesn't turn out right or needs to be tweaked. Anyone else do this?

There is a very big small batch community on here. Check out the 1 gallon unite thread in the beginners forum. That is mainly where we all hang out. Good luck

Check out Basic Brewing Radio and Basic Brewing Video (both online). These guys do lots of 1 gallon batches and BIAB for experimentation and demonstration. I think it is a great way to not get stuck with five gallons of funky undrinkable swill. I have one experimental batch that ended up so heavy with Diacetyl it is almost undrinkable. I figured out what went wrong, but I had learned the lesson from 1 gallon instead of 5. When you try new things some just don't turn out as you expected. I think I might pick up some smaller Better Bottles next time I'm at the LHBS.

Yep, I do something similar. You can get a two-pack of 3 gallon fermenters and do half batches. I like to brew a 5-gal batch and split it across two three-gal fermenters. One might get American Wheat yeast, one might get hefeweizen yeast. Or both might get hefeweizen yeast and one ferements at 65 and the other ferments at 58. Or one might get dry hops, the other doesn't. One gets raspberries, the other doesn't. Possiblities are endless.

Latest posts

Back