Just got my first kegging kit and may have racked prematurely!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timg12

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got my first keg set and couldn't wait to rack a batch. I had a batch of an Oatmeal Stout in primary for about 4 weeks (1.5 of which was under very cold temps so may have stopped fermentation). I was so excited to rack it that I forgot to take a hydrometer reading until it was all in the keg already. The final gravity reading I got was 1.21 while the target FG is in the 1.10-1.12 range.

So now my question is: does fermentation stop once the batch is in the keg or will it continue to ferment (secondary style)? Also, is there anything I can do to help the yeast finish up the job in the keg before I bring in the co2 in full force? (I've already purged it) :?

Thank you!

To qualify, I don't keg myself, so I'm only going on what I've read and what friends of mine do --- Yes you should be able to finish it out in a keg (short answer). Now for the questions - How cold is cold for the first 1.5 wks in primary, and what yeast did you pitch? What was the temp for remaining 2.5 wks? How confident are you in your original mash temps (assuming AG)? If you overshot your temps, there is always the possibility that your 1.021 is in fact your FG.
If the first 1.5 wks were well below ideal for the yeast, and the remaining 2.5 wks were on the lower end of temp, you may only need to warm it up a bit. Keep in mind that you will be working with far less active yeast since you racked it, so even if it gets re activated it might take what seems like forever to finish. You should be able to manually release pressure (if it builds pressure at all your probably looking good for finishing at a lower SG).

If I don't have glass fermenters free I'll rack into a keg for secondary. It's no big deal, just keep in mind that it's probably got a bunch of C02 in suspension and might still be making more, so you could end up with over carbbed beer. I would just give a pull on the air release (for ball lock) once a day, but make sure to leave some pressure on. If you have another keg (and why wouldn't you!) you can always just rack into that once you feel you are done in 'secondary'.

Back