Nottingham Ale Yeast at 73 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
I've read many things about this yeast. I used it 2 days ago for the first time in an IPA and the only opinion I have of it so far is that fermentation is very vigorous and started less than 24 hours after pitching.

I pitched the yeast at about 77 degrees but I tried everything to drop them temp down as much as I could. Its kinda warm here in Montreal right now so I put on my air conditioner. Even with the air conditioner on, my beer has been fermenting between 75 and 71.5 degrees. Basically a little bit more than room temperature. The temperature in my room however is never higher than 68 degrees.

Many of the reviews i've read about this yeast is that it produces off-flavors at higher temperatures. How likely is it that I get off flavors from this high of a temperature? Has anyone brewed with this yeast at this high temperature and if you did how did it turn out? I'm pretty worried that my beer will taste like a fruit juice instead of a hoppy citrusy IPA.

I've tried notty at nearly every setting from 59-71. I LOVE notty at 61-63...its still a workhorse but very clean. I found you are far more likely to get the fruityness though around 65-68. Once you get near 70 I always get acetaldehyde (apple smell) but its usually gone by the time I go from secondary to bottle.

Hope this helps

I kegged an IPA that I used Nottingham on about a week ago. It was my second all-grain batch and my first time using this yeast strain. The batch is about three weeks old and not fully carbed yet, but I think it has an odd harsh/fruity/alcohol taste to it that is masking any other good flavors. During the very vigorous fermentation that blew through the airlock the air temp. was at 68 degrees and I believe the thermometer temp. peaked at about 74. It's currently dry hopping and crabbing so I'm going to let it mature and hopefully it will be drinkable. What do you think the chances of it becoming the tasty first IPA I was hoping it would be?. I'm concluding that the fermentation temp was too high. I already started building a fermentation chamber so I don't run into this problem again. My first batch that was fermenting right next to the IPA was an APA with Wyeast 1056 and it tastes great even after only three weeks.

Back