Why use late hop additions when dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strambo

Reaction score
As I'm getting ready to do my 1st dry-hop I had a thought. If you are going to dry hop anyway, why bother with 5 minute or flame out additions? Since the best aroma is from the dry-hop, why not save the late hops and just do the bittering and flavor additions? What am I missing?

The flavor and aroma from a 5 minute or 0 minute addition is different from a dry hop addition. Some of the hop compounds if boiled for more than 2 minutes will boil off, and some compounds can't be extracted at dry hop temperatures. I can tell you the biggest improvement I've made to my hop aroma and flavor has been adding a nice 2 oz addition right at 0 minutes.

Here's an awsome article explaining it better than I can
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/linalool-fresh-and-floral-hop-aroma/

Nice! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for. So...it would make sense to me to do 20-15 min flavor additions, then go straight to 0 minute for the linalool compounds, then dry hop?

I don't want to waste hops in additions where they aren't contributing much just because that is the way it has always been done.

late hops are kind of a new thing. I generally go for some 60 minute bittering hops, then 10 and 5 minutes for flavor and aroma, then dry hop for aroma.

It costs more to do late hops, but I would never call it a waste. In my opinion that is the BEST time to add hops.

late hops are kind of a new thing. I generally go for some 60 minute bittering hops, then 10 and 5 minutes for flavor and aroma, then dry hop for aroma.

It costs more to do late hops, but I would never call it a waste. In my opinion that is the BEST time to add hops.

+1 :mug:

Back