Borderline Brewing EHERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I’ve been collecting parts for the past several months for an all electric single level EHERMS build, using Kal’s great E-Brewery system as a reference and model, as well as all of the other great systems that have been shared on HBT, and particularly those drawn up by PJ. I'm using a re-purposed stainless steel control panel (16"x16"x7") that I reclaimed from a salvage yard for $14. I've included some pics of the box. When I got it it had a single hole in the top, and a bunch of extra holes in the bottom. I ended up cutting out the top and installing a heat sink, and cutting out the unwanted holes in the bottom, and making a new plate out of sheet aluminum. I had the front holes cut out from a source on Craigs list (the steel is about 62 mils thick, and was hard for me to work with at home). I ended up polishing the whole box and heat sink, and the last 2 pictures show it with most of the controls in place - I still have to clean off the extra silicone around the PIDS and timer.

The control panel will be powered from a 60Amp GFI Spa Panel that’s fed from a 50A 2 pole 240V breaker. There will be two 5500W (240V) heating elements – one in the BK and one in the HLT (all converted keggles). I’ve got 3 Auber PIDS (BK, HLT, and the 3rd will just be to monitor the temp of the MLT) and a Sestos timer. I’ve come up with a preliminary wiring diagram, but would appreciate it if you guys would check it out, and tell me what I’m missing and/or doing wrong, and answering a few questions that I have.

1. I want to have a main power switch that controls both live legs, and since this is just an on off, I think it’s alright to use the lit selector switch to activate the 2 pole 240V controller – but should the coil for the contactor be 120 V, or 240V for this, and do I have it wired right in the diagram?
2. For costs, I really didn’t want to put in circuit breakers into the panel. What size fuses should be used for the heating elements, and where should they be placed – just after the controller?
3. I’m right now only planning on using one of the heating elements at a time, although with a 50 amp service I’m probably OK with all the loads. I’m using an on-off-on three way selector switch that will determine which of the elements can come on, and the switch will also control a green light for either of the elements, similar to Kal’s. Do I have this circuit wired right – with the switch controlling the power to the coil of the controller?
4. I also have to figure out how to wire the alarm(s). Do all the alarm signals from each of the PIDS run in parallel to the light and horn?

control_panel1.jpg

control_panel2.jpg

control_panel3.jpg

control_panel4.jpg

Borderline_wiring2.jpg

Here's a couple more pics of my wooden brew stand, featuring a single piece of pine that's about 22"x56"x3" thick,

the keggles in the process of getting built,

and the overall brew area, with our big, 8' long, 3 bay commercial sink that we scored off Craigs list.

Brew_Bench1.jpg

Brew_Bench2.jpg

Brew_room1.jpg

Back