Danstar Windsor Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimman

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have a quick question. I brewed an ale on saturday and pitched a rehydrated pack of danstar windsor ale yeast. The work temp at pitching was about 65 degrees. Pure oxygen was forced in to wort. Fermentation ambient temp was 66 degrees with a wort/beer temp of approx 70-72 degrees. Throughout Sunday I was witnessing a very strong fermentation of about 3 bubbles per second in airlock. This morning I'm now seeing 1 bubble every few sec. Normally the airlock doesn't bother me because I know it's not at all a form of accuracy when it comes to fermentation however I was thinking maybe my temp was to high causing the fermentation to go to quickly.

Could any of you provide me with some information regarding their experience with this yeast strain at these temperatures?

Thank you

Cheers,

if it fermented too quickly it's too late to do anything about it now. take a hydrometer reading.

higher fermentation temps mean fast fermentation. the warmer temps with that particular yeast might cause it to have some fruity esters than normal. but the beer should still be fine. I would do a secodary fermentation and keep temps around 68. the key to any good fermetation is keeping temps within 5 degrees. a big mistake that I have done in the past is to crash cool a brew like this and get tons of diacetyl because the yeast couldn't finish its job. I wouldn't worry too much. you can get into a some trouble if fermentation temps reach 72 to 75 degrees. I have several ambient temp thermometers that I have placed in various places in my home to see what kind of temps they have. The thermometers take an average temp and the high and low for 24 hours. I think they cost around 8 bucks at Target.

Back