5 gallon gravity fed brewing stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Right now I batch sparge from a rectangular cooler. It's great, I'm making great beer (or so I think). My efficiency is in the mid to high 70s.

I was thinking of building an economical gravity stand that would begin with a round cooler up high to hold my Hot liquor then the second tier would be my Mash/Lauter tun, and finally my boiler.

The reason I want to do this is because I'm tiered of carrying around 5-6.5 gallons of water I hurt my back the last time I brewed.

My question is how well a round cooler liquor tank would sustain hot water and hold temp.

Anybody have something like this. I'm open for suggestions if anyone has any ideas or photos.

The round cooler will hold heat just like your rectangular cooler. And gravity fed systems work great. My only question is how will this solve your lifting/carrying problems? You still have to get hot water into that cooler on top to let gravity do its thing. Check out this thread for pics: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-me-your-wood-brew-sculpture-rig-73794/

So do you have another burner to heat the hot liquor tank? If not you will still need to get the hot water up there. Another alternative is a pump, but that is more expensive. I currently do 5 gallon batches and simply pour the mash/sparge water into the mash tun via a 2 quart plastic juice container thingy-ma-bob :) its takes a few seconds more time, but will do the trick without a pump, or carrying around 5-7 gallons of hot liquid

The round cooler will hold heat just like your rectangular cooler. And gravity fed systems work great. My only question is how will this solve your lifting/carrying problems? You still have to get hot water into that cooler on top to let gravity do its thing. Check out this thread for pics: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-me-your-wood-brew-sculpture-rig-73794/

So do you have another burner to heat the hot liquor tank? If not you will still need to get the hot water up there. Another alternative is a pump, but that is more expensive. I currently do 5 gallon batches and simply pour the mash/sparge water into the mash tun via a 2 quart plastic juice container thingy-ma-bob :) its takes a few seconds more time, but will do the trick without a pump, or carrying around 5-7 gallons of hot liquid

Your right, I'd have to get another burner which is ok by me.

Now I was talking to some guy and tried to convince me to go to 10 gal.

I would agree to use a 10 gal mash tun. Anything over 1.060 og will likely max out or come close to maxing out the volume of a 5 gal. Especially when you mash out/batch sparge.

Here's mine. Sorry that it's sideways. I did move the burner over to the right side of the stand. My new bayou burner started melting the cooler.

ForumRunner_20110904_092000.jpg

I like that set up but I want something I don't need a ladder for so I was thinking of something like this:

In the first picture it show my current set up

IMG_2676.jpg

The second picture is where I would like the placement of the hot liquor tank and the kettle pot. Obviously I would have to upgrade pots so I can have a spigot and while I'm at it a thermometer. I would also have to get another burner which is fine with me.

Sample.jpg

Back