Hops in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a batch of Irish Ale and I noticed a whole bunch of left over hops but I thought It was fine. Does it hurt the beer and can I get it out? I mean they'll sink during fermentation right and I'll leave them behind with the yeast cake right?

Yep. Ideally you'd like to separate the trub for fermentation, but don't fret it. Everything'll be peachy. Just think of it as extra assurance towards staving off bacterial infection, I guess. No harm, though.

Yooper said:
I don't siphon. I have a counterflow chiller, so it goes through the pump into the fermenter. My beers have been ok so far, with over 300 batches under my belt. Literally and figuratively!

Haha with 300 under you belt they've just ok? You should be a master. This was only my second. I'm a noob but we all start as noobs.

Haha with 300 under you belt they've just ok? You should be a master. This was only my second. I'm a noob but we all start as noobs.

Well, they are pretty good actually. Better than most commercial offerings out there. No off flavors or anything like that from not straining the wort. :D

Yooper said:
Well, they are pretty good actually. Better than most commercial offerings out there. No off flavors or anything like that from not straining the wort. :D

Haha go figures anyone can make a beer better than commercial brews I now feel sorry for people that drink them. And ya I over worry sometimes.

Not trying to insult you by saying anyone can make beers better than most commercial beers.

Haha! Kokopuff- I would disregard any future advice from Yooper, she might steer ya wrong intentionally!! (just kidding yooper, I don't think you would ever hurt a beer)

mrduna01 said:
Get the F out! Yoop is a girl!?!? Lol

I didn't know that lol :D I saw that hockey picture and I didn't figure you never know on forums I could be a 82yr old child melester

I don't siphon. I have a counterflow chiller, so it goes through the pump into the fermenter. My beers have been ok so far, with over 300 batches under my belt. Literally and figuratively!

very funny yoop I doubt that though.

in regards to hops in the primary, no troubles, hops love beer it is a match made in Yakima

Yooper said:
Well, I do play hockey. I'm a defenseman, er, defensewoman.

I'm also a petite middle aged grandmother. Kinda weird, huh? :p

Coolest grandma ever!!! I bet you get all the hunks.

Well, I do play hockey. I'm a defenseman, er, defensewoman.

I'm also a petite middle aged grandmother. Kinda weird, huh? :p

Nothing is surprising when talking about someone from the UP. You have to be crazy to live up there (and I'm from South Dakota!)

i used to not worry about gunk in my fermenter, but a whole week of sitting on vegetation has, on occasion, let loose a this vegetative (spinachy??) over-twang of rancid-iosity, that I concluded was a lack of vigilance on my part, in allowing too much hops to get digested by the more acidic wort-plus-alcohol..... ymmv.

if you understood that, I bet you are not unfamiliar with Milton's poem ......

brewmonk said:
i used to not worry about gunk in my fermenter, but a whole week of sitting on vegetation has, on occasion, let loose a this vegetative (spinachy??) over-twang of rancid-iosity, that I concluded was a lack of vigilance on my part, in allowing too much hops to get digested by the more acidic wort-plus-alcohol..... ymmv.

if you understood that, I bet you are not unfamiliar with Milton's poem ......

Now I'm worried again. How long does that take I was going to rack to primary in aprox 3 weeks should I go sooner?

Settle down dude... the beer is fine. Lol..

And the most disturbing yooper fact is that she's a hippie. Everything else is forgiveable. Even the being a chick part. ;)

Back