Need to make a starter without DME or LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike101188

Reaction score
Hi, I searched during my lunch break (started at noon PST) and couldn't find anything on this other than using dextrose for the starter. I am wondering if I could take a little bit of my all grain and do a mini-mash to make a starter with. I ordered everything I need for an all grain guinness clone, but completely forgot the DME. I want to be able to brew this weekend but can not go to my LHBS today because I have work from 1-9. Any advice would be great because I want to make my starter tonight when I get off work. Thanks guys. Oh and here is what MrMalty caluclated:
With intermitent shaking, 188 million yeast cells needs, 1.24 liters of started required with 1 vial of White Labs Irish Ale, 4.5 gallons final volume with 1.060 OG. Thanks!

well its way better to use wort or some sort of malt extract to make a starter. the yeast will produce enzymes to break down the sugars they find in the starter. they will only make the enzymes needed and in the proper ratios needed. so if you use table sugar then throw the yeast into a wort the yeast will have to take time to change their enzyme production. also there is more in wort than just sugars, there are nutrients that the yeast need for proper cell growth and health. table sugar isn't going to have that.

Yep, Malta Goya works, and it's like 60 cents a bottle. It's just carbonated wort. Boiling it should help drive off the carbonation.

Back