Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
What is a milk stout? Not familiar with the style, can you explain?

Shmohel said:
What is a milk stout? Not familiar with the style, can you explain?

Milk Stout is a fancy name for a sweet stout. It is typically sweetened with lactose, which is an unfermentable sugar from milk solids. The yeast can't eat it and turn it into alcohol, so the sugars from the lactose stays in the beer after complete fermentation.
Typical commercial example is Mackeson's XXX. I'm not a big fan of it but a guy had a coffee-toffee milk stout at the NHBC and it was amazing. Breakfast beer. Dump that on pancakes (or ice cream) and you've got something very nice. :D

Thanks for splitting the post.

The beer definately sounds interesting. What are your plans for it? AG? Yeast? Hops?

I look forward to hearing how this one will come out.

Rhoobarb said:
One of the best examples I've had is Left Hand Brewing's milk stout. If you can find this where you live, pick some up! I loved it.

Looks like they have a distributor in Virginia. Anyone know any place in NOVA that I could pick some up?

Shmohel said:
The beer definately sounds interesting. What are your plans for it? AG? Yeast? Hops?

I look forward to hearing how this one will come out.

Ingredients and recipe are TOP SECRET at this time. Sam and I are having a little friendly competition to see who can get closer to the coffee-toffee one (we called it LPR--liquid panty remover) we had in Baltimore. We haven't set a brew date yet but it will be soon, because we have to have it ready by our September (or October, can't remember) brew club meeting.
I'll post my version of the recipe when I win. :D

I was planning on brewing a milk stout and bought the milk solids for it, but i just kept putting it off and now its been over two months since i bought the ingredients. will they have gone bad by now?
Can i still use the milk solids? it's in a vacuum sealed bag.

Back