Where is your thermostat probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My probe is...

• submerged in the fermenter

• taped or otherwise attached to the fermenter

• just somewhere in the chamber (not in/on the fermenter)

• other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mine's just hanging in mid-air, about 12-15" from the bottom of the freezer, and 6-8" from the side wall. Seems to work fine.

Still on my wish list...:p

I'm getting another fridge soon for this purpose. Maybe I'll use this thread to tell me where to put it.

In Oakland, I had a fermentation closet and had everything heater, probe & controller mounted on a wall above the fermentors. I was using a small space heater with a fan, did a really nice job even when there were several fermentations going at the same time.

I have a temperature probe that is related to a temperature controller and a pump and way too much othe junk. BUT... the probe is in a thermo-well that is in the middle of my fermenter.

On the floor of my chamber inbetween where I would put 2 carboys. I'm not going to be so anal that I may risk infecting a batch just to have the actual wort 2 or 3 dergees cooler when I have the temp of the chamber at 60. Besides if I put it in the wort I run into another problem. With room for 2 carboys I would need 2 thermometers and a way to controll both of them independently of the other.

Brewpastor said:
I have a temperature probe that is related to a temperature controller and a pump and way too much othe junk. BUT... the probe is in a thermo-well that is in the middle of my fermenter.

You were the only one I expected to see vote for thermowell. There might be others, but I pretty much KNEW you were in that camp.

:)

-walker

Mine hangs on the left side, just inches from the bottom. I have a thermometer probe in a plastic cup of water sitting on the bottom of the freezer. Works well.

Walker-san said:
You were the only one I expected to see vote for thermowell. There might be others, but I pretty much KNEW you were in that camp.

:)

-walker

brew Paster I think is the onlyone with a set up that would allow him to do it like that. Besides he dont have to worry about infections . . . He's brewing for God. :mug:

Pumbaa said:
brew Paster I think is the onlyone with a set up that would allow him to do it like that. Besides he dont have to worry about infections . . . He's brewing for God. :mug:

This may very well end up in my sig :D.

Back