Perlicks worth it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously.. Are they worth the extra $$? I hear a lot about them, but what makes them so much better? I mean it's not like there are a ton of parts in a faucet that can go bad, right? I am only asking because I am ready to install 4 taps in my fridge, and have come across a reasonably priced kit, but it doesn't include perlicks.. Just some chrome and brass no name taps... Will I regret it?

They are forward sealing. Normal faucets will allow a small amount of beer to not flow out. This beer drys and becomes sticky and in the future when you go to pull a pint it's hard to pull the tap handle.

Perlick's aren't that expensive if you shop around. There's been a couple group buys on this forum and AHS had/has a sale on them.

I never had non-perlick faucets, but that's because I hung around HBT for about 2-3 years before I bought my faucets. If you only have two taps, and you pull a pint every day off of them, you should be ok. But, if you only have a pint now and then, or on weekends, people have complained about them sticking. Sticking to the point where you break off the tap handle trying to get them open.

I only have three faucets (and one picnic tap) but I love the Perlicks! Never once have they stuck, even when I got back from vacation and pulled a pint. I've never had to take them off and clean them out, or to "unstick" them. I highly recommend them! I think I paid about $26 for each of them- which was very reasonable for what I got, I believe!

A friend of mine has a Danby kegerator with a cheap faucet and it's a problem getting the tap unstuck on a Friday night after it hasn't been used all week. Every single time.

I'm gonna buy him a Perlick just so I don't have to deal with it anymore, I think.

definitely worth it. I have 2 perlicks and 1 regular faucet. My 1 regular faucet ALWAYS gets stuck, even after just a day... I want to replace the 1 regular faucet as soon as I get a few extra bucks.

yes there are a ton of threads already about this, however I would love to give my input. I just got my perlicks like two weeks ago. I dont use my taps everyday (and neither will you with 4) and they got stuck all the time, i was always afraid that I would break my damn faucet. Then I got the perlicks, they can sit for over a week and not even show a hint of sticking. I would strongly recommend them, basically later on you will realize you need them and be pissed that you wasted the money on the other faucets. Well either that or you will break a faucet (heard of it happening) then you will have to get them.

Seriously.. Are they worth the extra $$? I hear a lot about them, but what makes them so much better? I mean it's not like there are a ton of parts in a faucet that can go bad, right? I am only asking because I am ready to install 4 taps in my fridge, and have come across a reasonably priced kit, but it doesn't include perlicks.. Just some chrome and brass no name taps... Will I regret it?

AHS has them on sale right now. I thought it was only for last Tuesday, but their site still shows the sale price. I have not seen them anywhere near this cheap. Get them while you can.

Austin Homebrew Supply

I just got 3 of them for $79 delivered.

I have never not had perlicks, but when I bought my kegerator, it came with this cheap plastic tower and cheap tap. The tap is frozen solid, I am guessing if this was a perlick, it wouldn't be.

They have performed up to and past my expectations.

Just for clarification, Perlick also makes regular rear sealing faucets(for example 408 and 410 series) but when everyone here is talking about Perlicks we are talking about the forward sealing kind (425[older], 525[new], and 575[creamer]).

I cheaped out and bought the regular non-forward sealing faucets. Dumb*ss. Broke 4 handles trying to open them after sitting for a while. An upgrade to forward sealing faucets is definitely in my future.

I got 2 used perlicks on auction and have never had a stick. I had a slow flow once, that I started to complain about, but it turns out the line was touching the back of the fridge and had partially frozen.

The faucets have never given me a problem. If I had gone with regular taps, I have no doubt that they would be trouble for me. If you think you can use every tap every day, then maybe the cheap ones will work for you, but I can guess that after a while you will be wishing you had the forward-seal units.

they are worth it . But if you are diligent in keeping the cheap rear sealing faucets clean they will never give a problem. I would at the end of a drinking session take my spray bottle of sanitizer and give the inside of the nozzle a few shots. Never had a problem with sticking.

While that's all well and good the quality of the Perlicks is impressive they open very smooth and just work better.

they are worth it . But if you are diligent in keeping the cheap rear sealing faucets clean they will never give a problem. I would at the end of a drinking session take my spray bottle of sanitizer and give the inside of the nozzle a few shots. Never had a problem with sticking...
Unfortunately this isn't always true, I always cleaned out my faucets with starsan after pulling a pint and they would still stick. :(

Back