Help! Missed mash temp by 12 degrees!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
Help! I missed my mash temp (152*F) by 12*F (I got 140*F)

Grains: 4230 grams
Water: 3 gallons

How much water do I add and at what temp to get 152*F???

Thanks
H

For me I would use about the same amount of water at 1.25 qts per pound. But the water would be at 164F.

What temp was your water? What do you use for a mashtun?

A common problem is failing to preheat the mashtun (cooler). You will also need to stir vigorously, otherwise you might get the wrong temps from certain parts of the mashtun.

Next time, try using some beer software like Beer Smith. You tell it what your equipment is, grain temp and desired qt/lb and mash temp, and it tells you exactly what temp the water should be to get you to your mash temp. I brewed today and hit my 154* to the tee.

Hi guys,
First off, thanks to Greenwoodrover!
I didn't get the water all the way up to boiling point, but managed to get it to the right temp and it worked perfectly; hit my target post-boil SG spot on :)

Thanks to everyone else that gave advice - trubadour I do use brewsmith but only had my mac laptop with me and beersmith is on my work pc upstairs so I was in a bit of a panic.

The reason why I missed my temp is I knocked the strainer off whilst stirring the mash in and had to empty the tun into a pot and then pour it back in!! such a disaster but it turned out ok : )

Back