Racking Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a quick question about racking my first beer. My first brew was a dunkelweizen (PM) and it is a week into the primary. I am going to let it sit another 2 weeks before I rack, but i do have a quick question. There are a few chunks of hops (which somehow managed to make it past the grain bag) and what not and I was wondering of a good way to rack and not get the chunks into my bottling bucket/bottles. Any information would be great! I'm just trying to figure out a good way to do this ahead of time.

Oh and PS, I did a hefeweizen a few days later that doesnt really have any chunks in there, I suppose this is just from my first brew, as I probably made a few mistakes.

I wouldn't worry about it - they're probably going to stay at the bottom of your carboy with all the other crud. But if they don't, it's not a problem.

No worries on those chunks. Do you have a siphon that has the removable tip on it? Most have a little bit on their tips that allows you to just about set it right on top of the trub, and the suction pulls from the top of the bit...hopefully keeping the sediment out of your transfer.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm losing mental capacity this week while being home sick.

Even if you do get a few little chunks transferred into your bottling bucket, when you put in your priming sugar and stir it up, it will be almost totally clear. Only one bottle should even get that crud in it. Drink that one right up after a week!

Back