Parts and pieces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Am thinking of going to AG brewing by converting some kegs into keggles. Still looking for the kegs to convert, but hopefully soon we will run across some. I keep seeing in pictures some cool looking thermometers attached to the front of keggles. Where are most of you getting these thermometers and how big of a hole in the keggle is needed? Is there some sort of grommet to use when doing so?

Also, seeing a lot of valves and such including a lot of copper plumbing and such. I would imagine most of this can be acquired at Lowes or whatever hardware store is local? Are you people sweating the joints in the copper lines with flux and soldering?

Well, some people weld in stainless couplings to their keggles, some use weldless fittings. Lots of debate, which is better, etc. Both work.

Thermometers can be had at just about any homebrew place, midwest, norther, AHS, etc.

Dont know anything about welding here. Soldered before. Can welding stuff be found at local hardware store, Lowes? Would lowes also have the stainless couplings and such?

lowes doesn't carry much stainless stuff. mostly washers/bolts/nuts. buyfittingsonline.com is a good source for the couplers. if you go the weld-in route, you'll need to find a person who can weld stainless. if you put a copper dip tube in it, you can solder it together (not to the keggle), just make sure you use a lead-free solder.

my thoughts are why go through the hassle of welding if they make other fittings that work. if they ever leak, replace em. thanks again for the links!

Back