Best cooler for a mash tun? (Coleman, Igloo, Rubbermaid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it. At least it will be easy to move it around. Now if you eventually want to do a brewstand (and use a cooler with it), you will want something without wheels.

I've been using the Rubbermaid 10 gal. "Home Depot" model for over a year, and no complaints. Works as advertised, and I just went the easy way for conversion and ordered a Bargain Fittings kit.

Yes, the Rubbermaid cooler's interior lining will warp; mine does. It's only logical. They are designed as coolers -hence the name- and not "heaters." When 170F preheat water is dumped into the cooler, the plastic lining expands, and warps. I can't see how that affects its performance as an MLT.

I have a 5 gallon Igloo cooler from Lowes and it hold temp very close over a 60 - 90 minute mash. I might get 1 or 2 degree drop with the 90 minute. I also have an older coleman 48qt. cooler that I am planning to convert with a stainless (weldless) valve assembly and mesh strainer tube. I have used this cooler while camping and it keeps food cold for extended periods with little need to replace ice.

Salute! :mug:

I don't want to threadjack but if you are looking for a round Rubbermaid drink type cooler there was another thread on this forum that lead me to "hydrationstation.com." They are selling a 10gal cooler for $15! I believe it is made by Rubbermaid do to the description. Of course you add shipping but it is still much cheaper than the $39 HD charges for one. I bought two and with shipping it came to $53.35. Thats about $26.67 apiece. Not bad.

Here's the link if interested:

http://www.hydrationdepot.com/Gatorade-10-Gallon-Cooler-Original-Bright-Orange-Design-Cooler.html

I don't want to threadjack but if you are looking for a round Rubbermaid drink type cooler there was another thread on this forum that lead me to "hydrationstation.com." They are selling a 10gal cooler for $15! I believe it is made by Rubbermaid do to the description. Of course you add shipping but it is still much cheaper than the $39 HD charges for one. I bought two and with shipping it came to $53.35. Thats about $26.67 apiece. Not bad.

http://www.hydrationdepot.com/Gatorade-10-Gallon-Cooler-Original-Bright-Orange-Design-Cooler.html

Wow that is crazy. I wish I had known when I bought mine. I couldn't find anything below around 45 so 15 is rediculous. Wonder how they manage it.

elproducto:
You do want it to be an "Extreme" IMO, the lid is heavier and denser and more than likely insulated. Where is the spigot on those, are those on the wheel side. If so it might become a PITA when it comes to putting/operating a ball valve on there.

I bought a 62qt Coleman Extreme for $40 and completed the copper manifold yesterday. converting that cooler was super easy, I could reuse the factory spigot washer/gasket. The washer/gasket fits over a 1/2" nipple and not only seals the inside but it also goes between the inside and outside of the cooler walls. added a couple of SS washer to snug everything up and no leaks what so ever.

I ran just straight water to see what the flow was like and to see how much would be left behind. I found out that at the end of drainage, if I elevate the back just a little, only a cup and a half of water was left behind. I know its going to be a different story when there is grain added but I thought a cup and a half wasn't bad.

The price is $65.12 if I click on the link.

I found this thread a little too late. Last weekend I went to Lowe's to buy a Rubbermaid cooler. Sitting next to it was the 48qt Igloo Ice cube for less than half the price. I figured I was getting 2 extra gallons of space for cheaper.

The cooler did not have a drain plug built in, though it did have the groove in the bottom for a drain. I have already drilled and installed a ball valve, sprayed Stuff foam into the hollow lid, started working on my fly sparge manifold, and installed a braid in the bottom. I've just not yet used it. I guess I can look forward to some temp drops. :eek:

The I still have some gaps in the foam in the lid so I will drill a few extra holes and fill those up. I plan to give it a test run this weekend.

Price was a big factor but the size also played a pretty big role in my decision. I used a borrowed Rubbermaid when I brewed a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, which had it pretty maxed out. I'd like to make some pretty big beers this winter so a slightly larger cooler with similar footprint seemed right.

I have an igloo 50qt ice cube marine (the all white one) and have been happy with it. I don't understand the person losing 6-10 degrees in an hour. The first few batches when I bothered to measure I lost maybe one degree in an hour. With any cooler you should pre-heat the cooler with hot water to ensure the thermal mass of the cooler doesn't soak up a lot of heat (or start with correspondingly warmer water at dough-in).

The only issue I have had is when I want to do a really big beer in a larger than 5 gallon batch. For the 10-10-10 beer I had a 37 pound grain bill and had to mash thick @ 0.9qt/lb for it to fit. For the 11-11-11 beer I want to do two back to back batches at 12 gallons each final volume to the fermentors and again am looking at something like a 37 lb grain bill. I might have to see if I can scratch up the $ for a 70-qt or borrow a larger mash tun.

Back