New brewer on Long Island, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
Hello,

I figured a proper first post would be an introduction.

I am a new brewer in Stony Brook, NY (on Long Island). I have had an interest in home brewing for over 5 years but just recently decided to give it a go. I ordered a pretty generic kit online, and being that I am a nerd, got all glass so I could watch the magic happen and a wort chiller mostly because it looked cool (and seemed more effective than ice baths). After doing some research, I decided to get a large brew pot for my eventual progress into all-grain recipes. I also got a burner I can use outdoors so I don't "stink" the house up causing irritation in the better half.

My first recipe was a nut brown ale. It was a kit I got from the same place I ordered the brewing equipment from. Everything seemed to go quite well, but as of now I have only tasted 65 degree flat beer. It is bottled and I will try one in about a week.

Thanking that 5 gallons of one kind of beer might get a bit old. I decided to make my own American pale ale recipe. Did a bunch of research, modeled it on some Sierra Nevada clones, and brewed it up. It smells great, but is currently only a few days in the secondary. It is going to be a little bit before I taste that one.

Next up will probably be a Belgian strong ale, but I am not sure yet. Want to actually taste some of my own cold, carbonated beer to make sure I am doing okay before I brew up another batch.

So far I am really enjoying the hobby and will enjoy it even more when I can actually start drinking the fruits of my labor! Looking forward to learning a lot more here.

Corey

Welcome aboard... I'm a newbie also... grew up just next door in East Setauket but am in Virginia Beach now...

shoebag22 said:
Welcome aboard... I'm a newbie also... grew up just next door in East Setauket but am in Virginia Beach now...

Cool, how do you like it there?

I actually grew up in Tucson, AZ but moved out here a little over 5 years ago for work. Still getting used to these long winters!

Welcome!! I grew up on LI but live out west now.

See you around the forums!

Native Long Islander here too but I live upstate now, things move a bit slower up here.

Welcome!

Just picked up some Mr.Beer kits down on L.I. for $7.50... on sale at CVS... if you know where to look ;P :mug:

Back