Experimental Beer Cooking beer - Small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourstring

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saflager 23 or S05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nah
Tasting Notes
Savory, spicy beer
And now, for something completely different.

My wife's making chili and asked if I had any beers in the fridge that would work as an addition. Somehow, I didn't have one beer out of the dozen varieties that would make a good stew base.

To compensate, I started making a one gallon batch of beer designed to be used for chili, stew, braising, etc. Salt, pepper, rosemary, and sage, with some black patent, rye, and biscuit malts for spice, bread, and Maillard Reaction flavors. I'm going to play with it a little to accentuate chicken, lamb, etc. Yeast doesn't matter much, as long as it's fairly unobtrusive.

The result is just OK to drink (salty and oddly spiced, like drinking bullion cubes), but the stew it makes is wonderful. Since clarity and haze don't matter, a 30 minute boil cuts to the chase and makes this a fast cook. I make a gallon at a time, BIAB style. Super simple and a cool "secret ingredient".

Mash at 156 for an hour:
1.5 lbs 2 row
.25 lbs black patent
.25 lbs rye
.10 lbs biscuit

30 minute boil:
.2 oz Fuggles at 30 minutes

At 5 minutes:
.5 tbsp fresh chopped sage
.25 tsp fresh rosemary
.25 tsp black pepper
.25 tsp sea salt