Calibrated Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
Bit of a shot,

but does anyone have a fancy Fluke or thermopen etc they wouldn't mind coming over and calibrating my RTD offsets? Trying to avoid buying a certified thermometer. I'd take them out for a beer as a thank you...

I'm in Tualatin right off I5.

Bit of a shot,

but does anyone have a fancy Fluke or thermopen etc they wouldn't mind coming over and calibrating my RTD offsets? Trying to avoid buying a certified thermometer. I'd take them out for a beer as a thank you...

I'm in Tualatin right off I5.

If you have no luck getting someone to come over, go to Amazon and buy a NIST traceable glass alcohol thermometer. They cost around $20 bucks, are certified accurate, and you don't have to worry about them losing calibration over time. Try to get one that has the range closest to your mash range.

Mind sharing a link? Having a tough time finding one as described.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00551P2RU/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1429425190&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=nist+thermometer+hb+instruments&dpPl=1&dpID=21ca8ylnq5L&ref=plSrch

I have an HB. I dont have the specific model I have readily available but if you go to their website and look over their models you will find something that will do the trick.

Does that thermometer keep you from doing an ice bath/boiling water calibration?

Yes, it allows you to calibrate where you should calibrate, at mash temps.

Yeah, but what good is that if your reference thermometer was calibrated using the ice bath/boiling water method or any other method that isn't at mash temps?

Yeah, but what good is that if your reference thermometer was calibrated using the ice bath/boiling water method or any other method that isn't at mash temps?

Because it is NIST traceable, so the calibration is certified. Even inexpensive liquid in glass NIST traceable thermometers come with guarantees of their accuracy across the range, ie accurate to .5 degrees C, 1 degree C below 0 C and 1 above 70C. That is far better than one could hope for doing it at home, and even if one did succeed in calibrating to that accuracy at home they would still need a NIST traceable thermometer (or equivalent, such as ISO) to verify the calibration against.

Because it is NIST traceable, so the calibration is certified. Even inexpensive liquid in glass NIST traceable thermometers come with guarantees of their accuracy across the range, ie accurate to .5 degrees C, 1 degree C below 0 C and 1 above 70C. That is far better than one could hope for doing it at home, and even if one did succeed in calibrating to that accuracy at home they would still need a NIST traceable thermometer (or equivalent, such as ISO) to verify the calibration against.

Well, that is certainly an example (e.g., not i.e.) of NIST tracibility, but you're overstating what it is.

Having witnessed NIST traceable calibrations in-person, I can tell you it isn't as impressive as you make it sound. The values don't mean a whole lot outside of the calibration points. The assumption is that if you know enough about your equipment, you can fill in the gaps.

The claim for those thermometers you posted is that they are calibrated against NIST traceable equipment but without 1. A calibration certificate and 2. A calibration certificate that hasn't exceeded its 1 year life span, it itself doesn't come with guarantees and really isn't suitable for what you described.

If you've never seen a bulb thermometer calibration, it pretty much goes like this:

1. Put in cold liquid; scratch the glass.
2. Put in hot liquid; scratch the glass.
3. Measure the distance between the scratches and pick the closest silk screen for that length.
4. Line up the silk screen with the appropriate scratch and go to town.

With even the utmost care there is a lot of room for error in a bulb thermometer. It is no wonder they are notoriously inaccurate and it is why they aren't sold with calibration certs, at least, not at this price point.

You'd be worse off using one of these thermometers as a calibration reference than an air-pressure adjusted boil test.

If you had a thermometer with an unexpired certification itself within the temperature range you're interested in, then maybe you should go that route.

The only reason you would NEED to check your calibration against NIST tracible equipment is if you needed it as an item to check off as part of government required regulations. Without a cert, the thermometer you posted doesn't fit the bill regardless.

Well, that is certainly an example (e.g., not i.e.) of NIST tracibility, but you're overstating what it is.

Having witnessed NIST traceable calibrations in-person, I can tell you it isn't as impressive as you make it sound. The values don't mean a whole lot outside of the calibration points. The assumption is that if you know enough about your equipment, you can fill in the gaps.

The claim for those thermometers you posted is that they are calibrated against NIST traceable equipment but without 1. A calibration certificate and 2. A calibration certificate that hasn't exceeded its 1 year life span, it itself doesn't come with guarantees and really isn't suitable for what you described.

If you've never seen a bulb thermometer calibration, it pretty much goes like this:

1. Put in cold liquid; scratch the glass.

2. Put in hot liquid; scratch the glass.

3. Measure the distance between the scratches and pick the closest silk screen for that length.

4. Line up the silk screen with the appropriate scratch and go to town.

With even the utmost care there is a lot of room for error in a bulb thermometer. It is no wonder they are notoriously inaccurate and it is why they aren't sold with calibration certs, at least, not at this price point.

You'd be worse off using one of these thermometers as a calibration reference than an air-pressure adjusted boil test.

If you had a thermometer with an unexpired certification itself within the temperature range you're interested in, then maybe you should go that route.

The only reason you would NEED to check your calibration against NIST tracible equipment is if you needed it as an item to check off as part of government required regulations. Without a cert, the thermometer you posted doesn't fit the bill regardless.

Instead of wasting time with a trolling question and self aggrandizing Latin corrections, perhaps be up front with your knowledge on NIST traceable glass thermometers and suggest a better, affordable alternative.

My original question was asking if the thermometer technology was limiting in some way as I've never personally used an RTD. I wasn't interested in NIST tracibility.

My original question was asking if the thermometer technology was limiting in some way as I've never personally used an RTD. I wasn't interested in NIST tracibility.

Obviously all technologies have their pros and cons. RTDs are particularly good in the 0-100C range since the resistance measure is linear (in the platinum ones at least). However they are relatively slow to respond compared to something like a thermistor. They have a few different calibration curves such as DIN, so you match the RTD to a PID that has the matching curve, check it against a calibrated thermometer or the ice bath/boiling water method and adjust the off set of the PID as needed. Once set it should be linear through the liquid water temp range as noted above. Also, if you have a high quality ohm meter you can measure their resistance to see if the temperature matches the expected resistance.

Back