Not even vaguely gourmet....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
This thread is intended to celebrate the pedestrian... those foods that might be comfort foods or might be grease bombs that you just have to have once or twice a year. Basically... if its on a diner menu its fair game.

I didnt have hamburger buns last night. I was embarrassingly lazy and didnt want to walk the two big blocks to the grocery store. So... I made patty melts.
Two slices of toast, a hamburger patty seasoned with a little adobo, cheddar cheese slices from the deli counter, and grilled onions. 100% better than I expected.

Got one of your own?

Found a recipe for cheesesteaks online that I enjoy making every so often if I don't have rolls.. Grill up all the meat, mushrooms and onions, stuff it into bell peppers that have been seeded and had the tops cut off. Cover with a piece or two of provolone and bake til the cheese melts and gets lightly browned on top. Shovel it all into ur gullet like ur devouring an ice cream cone.

I'd put it somewhere between hardshell crabs and chicken wings on the mess-scale.

The other day, I made nachos in the microwave using a can of fire roasted green chiles and a mix of mexican and cheddar cheese that I found in the back of the fridge (couldn't be arsed to make a roux), I topped it all with some leftover bacon. Shockingly tasty.

Pretty much anything you can heat in the microwave and wrap in a tortilla. Anything from week old spaghetti to last nights pork steak. Sometimes, I get lucky and find some leftover bacon from breakfast! Whatever. Cover it with cheese, throw a jalapeno in there and call it good.

Every once in a while I'll fry up a pound of thick sliced bacon (I like Daily's applewood smoked bacon), don't fry it till it's crisp, it should cooked, but still pliable & chewy. Whilst it's draining on a paper towel covered plate, slice up about 1/2 a head of red cabbage. just halve the head on an angle to avoid the core & slice that into about 1/2 inch slices.

Stir-fry that cabbage in the bacon grease in your skillet. Medium-high heat, stir it all very wel to coat it all with the bacon grease. Keep an eye on it & stir it often; break the slices apart as they cook. I like to add fresh ground black pepper while it's cooking, but I never measure it, I just eyeball it & use my nose to tell me when it's enough.

The cabbage is done when it turns blue. Add the bacon back to the cabbage in the skillet to reheat it. I just dump the whole thing onto a big plate & eat it. I've also added sliced green onions & a pinch or 2 of nutmeg, but I like it best with just the black pepper. Of course I wash it down with copious amounts of brown ale.
I know, it's kind of a heart attack on a plate, but it's damned tasty!
Regards, GF.

I like to fry some bacon, and then crumble it up on a plate and leave the grease in the bottom of the skillet. I slice up some potatoes, toss them into the bacon grease and fry them with salt and pepper. Top it off with as much cheddar cheese as I can reasonably get away with. Then put the potatoes on the same plate as the bacon and mix it up. Grease bomb and I try not to do it too often, but it is delicious.

BTW, has anybody ever tried those knishes (fried mashed potatoes) that are sold by sidewalk vendors in New York City? They're good with a home brew.

I like to fry some bacon, and then crumble it up on a plate and leave the grease in the bottom of the skillet. I slice up some potatoes, toss them into the bacon grease and fry them with salt and pepper. Top it off with as much cheddar cheese as I can reasonably get away with. Then put the potatoes on the same plate as the bacon and mix it up. Grease bomb and I try not to do it too often, but it is delicious.

BTW, has anybody ever tried those knishes (fried mashed potatoes) that are sold by sidewalk vendors in New York City? They're good with a home brew.
Yum. Bacon, potatoes and cheese. You had me at bacon! And Knishes are delicious. I haven't had one in years!

One of my staples from college, which I still make occasionally purely out of nostalgia:

OUR DAILY BREAD

Makes one "batch" -
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 can of wolf chili
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained
- a metric sh*t-ton of Sriracha (rooster sauce), or to taste

Combine in a large microwavable container. Stir well to mix evenly. Microwave on high (covered) until steaming hot. Refrigerate when full, re-microwave when hungry again.

A batch of this used to last me a couple days of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and for super cheap. :D

Frito pie. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a pile of Fritos corn chips drowned in chili with melted cheese on top. If you want to get fancy, add some diced onions on top.

You can do the same thing with french fries or tater tots, or even hash browns; every version I've ever eaten was tasty. You can add just about anything edible & it'll still be tasty, probably even moreso. I'll bet even brussels sprouts would be good in frito pie, of course I loves me some brussels sprouts!
Regards, GF.

Buffalo chicken dip.

Shredded or diced chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese of your choice, blue cheese and or ranch dressing, and a ridiculous amount of hot sauce and toss in the oven until everything is melted. Stir and add more hot sauce to taste.

Or

Sausage dip
Brown some loose sausage (I’ve used Italian, chorizo, and brats and they were all tasty but chorizo was the best), dump in a can or two of drained rotel and a block of cream cheese.

Use chips, pretzels, or my favorite buffalo pretzel chips to dip. They are both amazing added on top of a burger too.

We learned to use leftovers when I was growing up:

Mac and Cheese, reheated placed between 2 slices of toast with bacon.

I didn't know they're called knishes but I love me some fried leftover mashed potato cakes, I like to mix in chopped onions when I fry them up. Fry'em in bacon grease and butter!

Cold navy bean sandwich with bits of ham hock and onions!

Dang, brings back memories of all kinds of good things.

Hashbrowns...Waffle House style Scattered Smothered Covered Chunked, Topped, and diced
2012-10-10104745.jpg

I look forward to it every time I make Chilli.

Hashbrowns...Waffle House style Scattered Smothered Covered Chunked, Topped, and diced
2012-10-10104745.jpg

I look forward to it every time I make Chilli.

Damn I miss the Waffle House!
Subsailor reminded me of the mashed potato sandwiches I used to eat when I was much poorer than I am now. A scoop of mashed potatoes (leftovers or instant) with butter/margerine & a little salt & pepper spread on bread or toast.

I also used to eat condensed cream of mushroom soup spread on bread or toast. Just open the can & spread it on with a spoon, like you'd spread jam, but thicker. Sounds disgusting, but it's not bad.

Or mac & cheese from a box, add a can of tunafish & a can of peas, stirr it all up & you've got ghetto tuna cassarole. (SP?) You can also add a can of cream of mushroom soup if you like.
Regards, GF.

The other day for breakfast, I made a grilled stuffed burrito using chopped up hot italian sausage from the previous night's dinner, some left over shredded cheese, and a couple fresh chopped jalepenos from the garden. Great way to start my day.

One of my favorites to have, basically any time my wife is away (she doesn't like hot foods), is to bake bake a dozen chicken wings in the oven, and make a hot habanero wing sauce, then toss the wings in it. Mmmmmm...

Heated up leftover spaghetti w/ homemade meatballs on toasted cheezy garlic bread. There is always some garlic bread leftover. Cheese on bread, congealed spaghetti on toasted cheezy bread. Spaghetti sandwich. Even took a picture of it with my phone I was so proud of it, then realized how embarrasing it would be if someone found it so I deleted it.

One of my favorite breakfast treats:

Cut some leftover shrimp into bite size bits, carmalize some onion and a bit of garlic, scramble some eggs with that and through in some cilantro, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Heat some tortillas, roll the mixture with some grated cheese into a burrito and top with sour cream.
I have also done with this with left over crab or calamari and if I am real lucky there'll be some asparagus from the grill the night before.

I say leftover shrimp beecause it's just me and my wife at the house anymore and we usually cook enough to feed us for a couple of days at a time.

I throw a hot link on the grill...slice up a couple tomatos from the garden and...lunch is served. A little mustard and mayo...perfect.

I tried making liver mush twice. Terrible both times! I think the ingredients found themselves in a pan in New York and thought "F this, I'm too far north!" ;)

- Packaged hasbrown patty with sunny side egg on top. Covered with cheese and then broiled until over easy cheesey melted.

- White rice with sweet soy (kecap manis).

- Boiled bones (chicken, beef, or veal) broth with Udon or Rice Vermicelli with Sriracha and Hoisin.

- steamed clams with sweet chili (cili manis - it's like duck sauce with red pepper flake) sauce.

I tried making liver mush twice. Terrible both times! I think the ingredients found themselves in a pan in New York and thought "F this, I'm too far north!" ;)

Where did you get it from you dont find that too far outside of the NC mountains?

The sweetest older Columbian lady at the little restaurant across from my old apartment told me that she could eat the crunchy rice from the bottom of the pot with a fried egg 3 times a day. Have yet to try it, but I'm going to have to some day.

Where did you get it from you dont find that too far outside of the NC mountains?

Found a recipe online and decided to give it a go. I think I wound up using regular cornmeal rather than grits, but the problem was a flavor one rather than a textural one. Maybe my supermarket just packs substandard liver... (btw, I forget the ingredients in the recipe, so any number of things could have gone wrong).

Smoked fatty. (A whole Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage log cooked on a smoker in one piece. Stuffing and/or wrapping with cheese, onions, more meat, bacon, etc is optional.)

- "Lumpia". These are shredded daikon, carrot, and bean sprout, fried egg rolls. Serve with a mix of soy sauce and hoisin.
- Curry puff. Curried mashed potatoes, peas, maybe some ground beef, and diced carrot. Wrap in egg roll wrappers into a pyramid pocket and deep fry. It kind of like curried shepherd pie. Red dot indians call them samosa.

Found a recipe online and decided to give it a go. I think I wound up using regular cornmeal rather than grits, but the problem was a flavor one rather than a textural one. Maybe my supermarket just packs substandard liver... (btw, I forget the ingredients in the recipe, so any number of things could have gone wrong).

You didn't just mix liver and cornmeal did you? I can't see you finding everything you need in NY very easy.

If its homemade you need to bake it. Store bought fry it with butter.

I might mail you some its leftovers so its cheap anyway.

- "Lumpia". These are shredded daikon, carrot, and bean sprout, fried egg rolls. Serve with a mix of soy sauce and hoisin.

You've a recipe for this?

I've tried and tried to make this, but it seems if you're not Filipino it don't turn out. Same with pancit.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for lumpia and pancit. :eek:

You've a recipe for this?

I've tried and tried to make this, but it seems if you're not Filipino it don't turn out. Same with pancit.

Dammit, now I'm hungry for lumpia and pancit. :eek:

Our asian market has prepackaged daikon and carrot mix. We just add the bean sprouts and use a familiar brand of pre-made wrappers. The key, I think, it to get the oil at the right temp. Too hot and you just burn them up. Too cool and they become oil bombs. We've just made so many we learned what setting to use on the cooktop. And we always use an iron skillet.

The sauce is just equal parts Kikomen and Hoisin.

You didn't just mix liver and cornmeal did you? I can't see you finding everything you need in NY very easy.

If its homemade you need to bake it. Store bought fry it with butter.

I might mail you some its leftovers so its cheap anyway.

Gosh I have no memory really. Just remember chilling it overnight in the loaf pan, cutting a nice slice, frying in some butter and taking a very disappointing bite.

You're too kind btw. I might take you up on that some day! :mug:

Back