Chocolate Espresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is your d*** or vagin* or....sorry I couldn't resist.

e31.jpg

It's a joke bro. 16 oz of anything is just another way of saying 1 pound. It's like asking how many inches of string is in 1 foot of string...lol

e31.jpg

It's a joke bro. 16 oz of anything is just another way of saying 1 pound. It's like asking how many inches of string is in 1 foot of string...lol

I got the joke. I get confused with cups and grams conversions in regards to making starters. I didn't think before I typed my question previously regarding oz. and lbs.

Brought a couple bottles of this to a homebrew exchange and they were both drained right away! Thanks again for a great recipe. Can't wait to tweak a few things and do it again!

I am bottling this weekend. Was thinking about using DME to prime with as opposed to priming sugar. Anyone use DME for priming and can you give me results/preferences/regrets? I think i read somewhere its nice for a stout to use DME.

I am bottling this weekend. Was thinking about using DME to prime with as opposed to priming sugar. Anyone use DME for priming and can you give me results/preferences/regrets? I think i read somewhere its nice for a stout to use DME.

I've only used DME once, for a CDA, and I really liked it. Nice tight head, almost like it was from a nitro tap. I'll probably do it again for my RIS.

I've only used DME once, for a CDA, and I really liked it. Nice tight head, almost like it was from a nitro tap. I'll probably do it again for my RIS.

I just cracked one open after 18 days to see if it was carbonated....nothing. Should I expect a longer carbonation time period on this brew?

how long did it take for bottle carbonation for this brew? I had it sitting at 63ish for a couple weeks before i moved it up to around 69-70 for now another couple weeks. There was a small hiss when i opened a bottle yesterday but little to no carbonation after pouring. Will this take over a month to carbonate based on the high alcohol content? Mine finished around 11%. Thanks.

how long did it take for bottle carbonation for this brew? I had it sitting at 63ish for a couple weeks before i moved it up to around 69-70 for now another couple weeks. There was a small hiss when i opened a bottle yesterday but little to no carbonation after pouring. Will this take over a month to carbonate based on the high alcohol content? Mine finished around 11%. Thanks.

Some beers do take longer than others to carb. How long did you ferment for? did you pitch additional yeast at bottling? The alcohol may have something to do with it, as it could kill off some yeast. I think the best think to do is just give it some time. I personally like my stouts on the flatter end of the spectrum, but that doesn't really help you.

Some beers do take longer than others to carb. How long did you ferment for? did you pitch additional yeast at bottling? The alcohol may have something to do with it, as it could kill off some yeast. I think the best think to do is just give it some time. I personally like my stouts on the flatter end of the spectrum, but that doesn't really help you.

Sat in the primary for 3 weeks...secondary i added coffee and sat for another 3 weeks.

I didn't pitch additional yeast....When i first opened a bottle after 3 weeks there was no hiss or anything...after 2 more weeks i did get a hiss when i opened the bottle but was not very carbonated, if at all. I guess i'll wait another couple weeks before sampling another.

I sampled a bit of this before I transferred to the keg and it tasted a bit salty. Don't get me wrong, I think this is going to turn out pretty good but I don't ever remember tasting any saltiness in a stout before. My wife actually mentioned that first so maybe I'm tasting it by the power of suggestion?!

Just wondering if anybody else has picked up on any saltiness with this recipe? Not overpowering, it's just there.

So should be ready to rack this to secondary in a day or two. I noticed that in your all-grain recipe you prescribe 4 cups of espresso beans and in the extract you prescribe 4 cups of brewed espresso. Which one do you recommend I go with?

So should be ready to rack this to secondary in a day or two. I noticed that in your all-grain recipe you prescribe 4 cups of espresso beans and in the extract you prescribe 4 cups of brewed espresso. Which one do you recommend I go with?

I can't say I've even done straight beans, but I used brewed espresso when I made this and had a lot of great feedback.

Back