hops growing in Michigan...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this and wanted some thoughts from here...Let me know if it's possible...i have s huge yard and can make a garden for it easily...

We are in the same growing zone(5B) and I am quite successful at growing hops in my area.

Follow the advice of people on this forum and general growing practices and you will be making beers with your own hops after a growing season or two.

My hops of choice are Cascade and Centennial.

Good luck!

photo (2).jpg

I grew hops in the Midland area of MI this year. I had great success. Planted in March, my rhizomes grew to between 8-14 feet. My ground is quite sandy, so I planted 3 in LARGE pots and they just took off. They wanted water about 2 times a day during the summer, but it really paid off. They produced about 6-7 oz of hops total between all the plants. I'm looking forward to harvesting much more this year.

Successfully grew Cascade, Zues, Centennial and Chinook in Michigan this year(in order of how well they did). I highly recommend Great Lakes Hops. They sell you a crown (aka plant) rather than a rhizome (aka root cutting). Get them planted in full sun with rich well drained soil. Keep the watered during the hot summer months. Very easy to grow. IMO.

Oooh, I wanna grow hops too. But I don't have a place to do it right now. Gotta get a new place soon.

Latest posts

Back