Bottled Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where do you keep your beer after it's ready for consumption?
1. In fridge?
2. In fermenter chamber?
3. Leave in closet?
4. Other?

What is the ideal storage temp for bottled ales?
Once ol lady summer gets here,,,,,I may have an issue with the heat in my garage. I'm looking to store in fermenter chamber(chest freezer)

I keep mine in my cold cellar for about 8 months of the year. The temp in the winter usually sits around the 40s so if works out well.

image-286712744.jpg

In a closet and chill as needed. Otherwise I'd need 3 fridges to keep all the beer in them.

Honestly, once a beer is bottle conditioned and carbed up, storage temp isn't THAT crucial. Obviously not in a boiling hot attic or garage, but anywhere really is fine. You don't have to stress out about it.

I condition them in the warmer MB until fridge time. Chilling a 12 pack as needed for at least 5 days. 7 to 14 days is better though.

Here in Hawai`i w/no air conditioning in the house I keep them in an apt fridge set to 45*F. I have two others set to 70* for conditioning. If I close up the house temps can get over 100* in the summer. I could stack them under the house, but they'd still be in the high 80s in summer. Really not a problem as I do 1.75 gallon batches and don't have a lot of beer stackng up.

I leave them in my basement at low 60's most of the year, maybe high 60's in summer. Transfer them into the fridge so that I always have 12-24 cold.

in a room in my basement. it's sunken and stays mid to low 50's in the winter and low to mid 60's in the summer. lagers are usually kegged in the fridge.

Basement floor. 57-68.Winter to summer. Wish I had a cellar wich would be more ideal for me after about 6 mo or so,to put them in but they do fine really over a year so far.Generally the warmer 50 -60's are more for stronger beers, lower abv use maybe cooler temps to age if possible and if I probably would stick ipa's ,pale ales in a celler after a month or two if I had one.Probably nothing wrong with lagering those in a spare fridge either.I just pop them in the fridge when I want to see how they develope. I often have one fridged a few days and another of the same of a few weeks later to see any difference.

I store in the basement. Temp ranges from 60 to 70 F during the year.

What is the best temperature to store beer? That is a good question.

A stable temperature is probably better than one that fluctuates.

Cooler temperatures will keep beer more stable and preserve the flavor longer.

Higher temperatures (60s to 70s) will help a beer 'Mature'.

Sorry, C-Rider, but 80+ temps, just seem wrong. I have no evidence to support this position and it may be completely wrong .... but it just doesn't seem right.

my in-laws had a bad habit or leaving 1 or 2 butt lites in our fridge when they would visit us in WY. I now have a sixer of their leftovers that has been "aging gracefully" for well over a year. even moved to MN with them. I'm thinking of putting them next to the heater for a few months before I accidentally leave them in their fridge. bwahahaha!!

Back