Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't really "funny," but it sort of is in a cosmic sense.

As you probably heard, Columbia SC and surrounding areas got hit pretty hard last month with serious flooding. Lots of homes and businesses were damaged, but one business, Yesternight Distillery, was completely washed away, as in the building they had for the business is no longer there. (gofundme here if interested)

They were located near a brewpub and a LHBS, which opened back up recently. I was in there yesterday getting some ingredients and asked the owner if he heard of any plans for the distillery reopening somewhere else. He hadn't heard, but he did talk to an owner of the distillery the day after. They were sifting through the rubble trying to save what they could, but everything from their latest batch to their beautiful copper still was either washed away or is unusable. But, they did find one piece of equipment intact. What did they find you ask?

...the fvcking hydrometer.

The entire building and heavy equipment was washed away and damaged beyond repair, but the damn hydrometer is one of the only thing that survived. You know, that thing that breaks so often that there's an official HBT count, which now stands at 2,084!

Thought that was worth sharing

Although his information was disorganized and scattered, it wasn't completely all wrong.

You can after all distill beer. We call it Whiskey.

And isn't distilled wine = port?

In any case, he had the right ingredients to say something profound. He just didn't have the right formula.

;)

Port is fortified wine, not distilled - although it may be fortified with brandy, which is distilled wine.

;)

and distilled beer isn't whiskey. no hops involved in that process.

That's almost inconceivable that the hydrometer was the only thing that survived?! That's usually the first thing to break. I hope they had insurance?

Yes, whiskey is made from beer. Before distilling, it's even called... wait for it... distiller's beer. That's what is distilled into whiskey.

Even without hops, it's still beer.

That's my "well actually" for the day!

Checks out:

"...the definition of a “beer” under the IRC differs from the definition of a “malt beverage” under the FAA Act in several significant respects. First, the IRC does not require beer to be fermented from malted barley; instead, a beer may be brewed or produced from malt or “from any substitute therefor.” Second, the IRC does not require the use of hops in the production of beer."

http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2008-3.pdf

Checks out:

"...the definition of a “beer” under the IRC differs from the definition of a “malt beverage” under the FAA Act in several significant respects. First, the IRC does not require beer to be fermented from malted barley; instead, a beer may be brewed or produced from malt or “from any substitute therefor.” Second, the IRC does not require the use of hops in the production of beer."

http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2008-3.pdf

lawyered!

Yes, whiskey is made from beer. Before distilling, it's even called... wait for it... distiller's beer. That's what is distilled into whiskey.

Even without hops, it's still beer.

That's my "well actually" for the day!

Yup, that's why I always fly-sparge with 170°F bourbon. It is called the "hot liquor tank", after all.

This isn't really "funny," but it sort of is in a cosmic sense.

As you probably heard, Columbia SC and surrounding areas got hit pretty hard last month with serious flooding. Lots of homes and businesses were damaged, but one business, Yesternight Distillery, was completely washed away, as in the building they had for the business is no longer there. (gofundme here if interested)

They were located near a brewpub and a LHBS, which opened back up recently. I was in there yesterday getting some ingredients and asked the owner if he heard of any plans for the distillery reopening somewhere else. He hadn't heard, but he did talk to an owner of the distillery the day after. They were sifting through the rubble trying to save what they could, but everything from their latest batch to their beautiful copper still was either washed away or is unusable. But, they did find one piece of equipment intact. What did they find you ask?

...the fvcking hydrometer.

The entire building and heavy equipment was washed away and damaged beyond repair, but the damn hydrometer is one of the only thing that survived. You know, that thing that breaks so often that there's an official HBT count, which now stands at 2,084!

Thought that was worth sharing

No, that absolutely IS hilarious! I've had to put a few on that HBT count myself...

Well it's almost the same thing, just without the hops. And yeah distiller beer they call "beer schnapps" but it could be a sort of hopped whisky if you Oaked it. Hops come through a lot since they are so volitile

Well it's almost the same thing, just without the hops. And yeah distiller beer they call "beer schnapps" but it could be a sort of hopped whisky if you Oaked it. Hops come through a lot since they are so volitile

I believe they ARE hopping whiskey now.

We're not supposed to be talking about distillation here, but cuts is part of that process and determines how much flavor gets included in the drink.

I didn't pick up much bitterness. Just a subtle aroma/flavor of hops.

The hops oils are what give it it's desirable characteristics. Those oils will be extracted with a still. How much of them goes in the drink can be adjusted with how much late tails cuts the distiller decides to include.

Or you could dry hop and filter I suppose.

I would have had been stuck between 2 reactions. Stomp on it out of frustration to add to the total loss or save it and encase the darn thing for a display titled strongest/luckiest hydro ever.

Frank and Earnest. Admittedly not that funny, because Frank and Earnest but it does touch on beer and brewing. Ya. So, here ya go.

IMG_20151113_095721.jpg

I believe they ARE hopping whiskey now.

I've seen a hopped whiskey out of wisers in the liquor store recently. I haven't tried it because wisers is the only whiskey I've ever encountered that tastes like rubbing alcohol/cheap vodka. Not interested

i was sitting in as the audio tech at a beer tasting event and heard a guy insist that the more hoppy a beer the high the alcohol content, and that hops=alcohol. FUNNY!

i was sitting in as the audio tech at a beer tasting event and heard a guy insist that the more hoppy a beer the high the alcohol content, and that hops=alcohol. FUNNY!

Even worse that it was at a beer tasting event! It's one thing if it's just some old BMC guy at the local tavern, but at a beer tasting event! Incredible.

Did Budweiser ever end up being allowed to aquire Miller-Coors? I read an article about month or so ago that said they were trying to do so again. If it happens then the BMC acronym will take on new meaning. ...

Did Budweiser ever end up being allowed to aquire Miller-Coors? I read an article about month or so ago that said they were trying to do so again. If it happens then the BMC acronym will take on new meaning. ...

They have to sell the MillerCoors unit off to gain approval from the DOJ. Sounds like MolsonCoors will be the buyer.

If I remember correctly, I have been drinking.

Back