Over Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerex

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm really new to the home brew experience. I'm actually just now doing my research before I dive in. But, I have a problem. I work out of town. I'm usually home around 10 days, then I leave for 20. I would really like to brew Heff's. So I guess my question is, if I timed the initial brewing in such a way that I leave it to ferment the day before I go to work, will 20 days of fermenting ruin my beer? Is there any way to prevent this? Maybe like, turning the temp down after the fermentation time is up ( i can have my wife do something like that while im gone). I really want to get in to brewing, but before i can, i need to know if ill be over doing it, or if maybe there is another type of beer that would be more suited to my schedule. (although, im really really like Heff's)

Thanks!!
Justin

You're in luck! The beer can't possibly over ferment. It will only ferment until it's done and then patiently wait to be bottled. You'll be safe brewing with your schedule.

You just made me so happy! Thanks a ton! And nice forum you guys have here, I hope to be here a while!

Thanks!

What a perfect schedule. Gone 20 days to give it good time in the fermentor without being impatient and botling early.
I am on a 3 week schedule (I know many primary for longer) where I brew 10 gallons and bottle 10 gallons each brew day. It keeps me in plenty of beer and the missus doesn't feel like I am ALWAYS brewing.

The Colony is a suburb of Dallas. Just to the north west.

And one more newbie question. After bottling, how long do they need to sit to carbonate and be ready for drinkin?

I've got an IPA that I've been waiting patiently 27 days for, and that's not even unusual.

Your life will be as such:

1st time home: brew your first batch.

2nd time home: bottle your first batch, brew your second batch.

3rd time home: bottle your second batch, enjoy your first batch.

You will really like your third time home.

And every time after that!!!! woo!

I can't wait, one more week to get home and start collecting gear. Still have a TON of reading to do.

Thanks!

The Colony is a suburb of Dallas. Just to the north west.

And one more newbie question. After bottling, how long do they need to sit to carbonate and be ready for drinkin?

3 weeks is best. 2 weeks if impatient. And if you have a big (as in ABV) beer, it can take longer.

Latest posts

Back