Tips on Racking From Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon BB with the rubber stopper and cane racker I'm using as a primary. I had a hard time racking the first time I used it, hard to control the position of the rack, kept moving around. Are there any tips/tricks to sucking my beer out of this one?

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but maybe the answer is in this pic:

autosiphon_holder_1.JPG

I drilled out this carboy cap to hold my autosiphon so it wouldn't fall to the bottom of the trub.

I used a door stopper. New of course. It's one of the brown plastic kind. I boiled it and run it through the dishwasher after each use. Before I use it though, it goes in the sanitizer with everything else. It works like a wedge. It has these groves in the middle that the racking cane sits in. It works pretty good.

Improvise adapt and over come!!!

With the tube coming off the racking cane leveraging the cane into an angle so the bottom of the cane is hitting the bottom side of the BB and the top against the BB neck I find friction does a good job holding it where I want. When I get towards the bottom I hold the can and angle the bottle to keep the siphon going as long as possible. Nothing fancy needed, just pay attention.

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but maybe the answer is in this pic:

autosiphon_holder_1.JPG

I drilled out this carboy cap to hold my autosiphon so it wouldn't fall to the bottom of the trub.

WOW- why didn't I think of that ?? I use the same autosiphon ..

How large a hole ? Drill wld be easier than a razor knife I suppose..

WOW- why didn't I think of that ?? I use the same autosiphon ..

How large a hole ? Drill wld be easier than a razor knife I suppose..

Here's the dope: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/autosiphon-holder-solution-revisited-163373/

Check out the link in post #23 there. Probably a better solution if you want to buy some other stuff online. I got f-ing fedup wedging newspaper into the carboy neck to hold the autosiphon and did this on-the-spot. Works great, but if any of my normal online places ever get that autosipon holder I'd be replacing my ghetto holder.

Back