Starter won't start. :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi again,

Smacked a pack of Wyeast Wednesday night. Left it in a good temperature zone for the yeast and shook it occasionally. Next day/evening, only a little inflation (maybe 1/3 of the way to usual--full to almost bursting). Manufacture date on the yeast was 11/30/09, so it's not old.

Had to pitch the starter Thursday night (I'll be brewing a high-gravity brew next Tuesday morning), and aerated/shook the starter wort up proper before pitching. Nothing seemed to happen. No movement at all, no evidence of fermentation/kraeusen, nothing.

Any suggestions? I believe I did everything right (including proper sanitization throughout).

Thanks, guys 'n gals.
Nige

It hasn't been pitched into actual beer wort yet (a brew). It's still in the flask. Brew day is this coming Tuesday.

Hi again,

Smacked a pack of Wyeast Wednesday night. Left it in a good temperature zone for the yeast and shook it occasionally. Next day/evening, only a little inflation (maybe 1/3 of the way to usual--full to almost bursting). Manufacture date on the yeast was 11/30/09, so it's not old.

Had to pitch the starter Thursday night (I'll be brewing a high-gravity brew next Tuesday morning), and aerated/shook the starter wort up proper before pitching. Nothing seemed to happen. No movement at all, no evidence of fermentation/kraeusen, nothing.

Any suggestions? I believe I did everything right (including proper sanitization throughout).

Thanks, guys 'n gals.
Nige

In your other post you were talking about the stopper popping out
because of the sanitizer residue. Was there some left in the flask?
Really hard to say what the problem is without knowing more, I've never
had a starter not start. If you made a dilute solution, it's at low temp
and there is no airlock on it, it's possible its going slowly without
you seeing any visible signs.
Jim

Back