A poor man who needs internet access.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
What do you think is the best "deal" for broad band access? Cable broadband through comcast is 30 dollars for 6 months then 55 or so dollars each month after at around 4Mbps. DSL pisses me off because it is so slow, i have it at work. What would you guys and gals do? How much do you all pay? What or who would you not use?

AHammer16 said:
What do you think is the best "deal" for broad band access? Cable broadband through comcast is 30 dollars for 6 months then 55 or so dollars each month after at around 4Mbps. DSL pisses me off because it is so slow, i have it at work. What would you guys and gals do? How much do you all pay? What or who would you not use?

I have had DSL for about 7 years now, but I've never considered it to be slow (1.5MB download back in 2000, but I'm getting 3MB download now.) I spend about $35/month on it.

I won't chime in TOO much on who to use or who to avoid. There are going to be horror stories about every single provider out there, so...

One thing I would avoid is satellite based broadband. They might advertise their speeds, but they don't typically talk about LATENCY. You might get great download speeds, but it takes a non-negligible amount of time to bounce your "please download this" signal off a satellite, back to earth, initiate the transfer of data back up to the satellite and finally back to your computer on earth.

The latency might not matter to you, but if you play games or use any on-line applications that require low latency, the dish-based broadband might be a pain in the butt for you.

Do you have COx Cable where you live?

I pay 40 bucks a month for high speed cable. 6 megs dl speed

I then get free basic cable since it shares the same coax cable as the interweb

Hmm, free basic cable huh? Never thought of that, maybe Ill call and have them turn mine off and see if its works for me also. :)

You could get hughesnet and enjoy 1.8KB/sec, just like I have for the last two months! Only $60 per month and our help desk in India will be happy to ask you the same questions every time you call! But, don't expect to get anything fixed.

Walker-san said:
I have had DSL for about 7 years now, but I've never considered it to be slow (1.5MB download back in 2000, but I'm getting 3MB download now.) I spend about $35/month on it.

I won't chime in TOO much on who to use or who to avoid. There are going to be horror stories about every single provider out there, so...

One thing I would avoid is satellite based broadband. They might advertise their speeds, but they don't typically talk about LATENCY. You might get great download speeds, but it takes a non-negligible amount of time to bounce your "please download this" signal off a satellite, back to earth, initiate the transfer of data back up to the satellite and finally back to your computer on earth.

The latency might not matter to you, but if you play games or use any on-line applications that require low latency, the dish-based broadband might be a pain in the butt for you.

Don't you have to pay an ungodly amount of $ for equipment for satellite based broadband? It's been awhile since I looked into it. My only other option is dial-up. Neither cable nor DSL come to my house.

Back