keg chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Well, been doing some reading and looking. At some point I'm going to jump ship and go kegging. As usual, there is sensory overload on that subject. Seems that all the chillers I've come across are for full size kegs. Does any one make them specifically for cornies? I came across this, scroll down towards the bottom, he uses a chest freezer....pretty damn cool.

http://www.kettlemoraine.com/mikesbeerpage/gadgets.php

My question, how does this work? I mean, it's a deep freezer, you'd have to have a temperature regulator which basically shuts off power to the freezer to modulate temperature. Won't that eventually screw up the freezer? Sure could hold a lot of kegs in the thing. Plus, there are a LOT cheaper than a dedicated keg chiller. Anyone try this?

My "keggerator" is a chest freezer with an external thermostat. The freezer is plugged into the thermostat, the thermostat has a temperature probe that goes into the freezer. When the freezer reaches the desired temp the thermostat turns off the fridge, then as the freezer warms up the thermostat turns the freezer back on. This is pretty common.

My thermostat is a cheap analog one I got off of ebay for $10. But, you can get fancy schmancy electronic ones for way more . . .

I haven't heard that this will mess up the freezer, but I've only been running mine for about 7 months.

It isn't a problem. The only thing that can really mess up a fridge/freezer is cycling the compressor's power too often. For any keg setup, you would be cycling the power less than it would normally.

Back