American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gonna try my hand at this pale yooper, but I think I may try to sub 2-row for MO just because I have a ton of it on hand at home. Any thoughts on using crystal hops? I was going to use Magnum to bitter and finish it off with the crystal hops, figure it could be kind of cool

After about 5 weeks in the bottle, I'm noticing one issue with the brew @yooper . For some reason these bottles are just emptying left and right. This is the best all grain I have brewed yet and my friends keep asking for more. Looks like it will be on the list again in the coming weeks. Cheers!

Alright, gonna try my hand at this one. Adjusted the recipe for my system. Also I'll be using the Giga Yeast Vermot IPA yeast.
My local water is horrible, I don't have a problem when I'm brewing stouts, but for my pale's it's just not right. After talking with brew club member's and a bit of research I decided on using RO water. I will be filling a 5 gallon jug for my mash water and then use my tap water to batch sparge. Any opinions on my mineral additions? My Mash in vol. is 4.19 Gallons of RO
Gypsum @ 3 grams, CaCl @ 4 Grams, and Epsom salt @ 2 grams
EZ water calculator has a
Mash PH of 5.51,
Ca 112, Mg 12, Na 0, Cl 122, and So4 155
Cl to Sulfate ratio of .79

Any opinions are appreciated, and Thanks Yooper, can't wait to brew this one, I brewed the oatmeal stout and my wife love's it. Finally a chance for her to enjoy something I made.

My water is not RO but very soft. For this recipe see below:

Mash Sparge
Volume: 3.2 4.0
Gypsum: 3.2 g 4.0 g
Epsom 3.2 g 4.0 g
NaCl 0.6g 0.8 g

Will be brewing this Friday night. Hoping to become a staple around here if my process is dialed in.

This was one of my first brews. Really liked it.
Curious if anyone has brewed this using Citra or one of the other critusy hops?

2.0 brew. I want to change up the hops and use cascade, citra and Amarillo. What do you guys/gals think would be the best hop schedule to get the most flavor? Not looking for a big citrus bomb, just something to compliment the maltiness of the grain bill.

I did scale down and kept the IBU at 45.
I kept cascade at 45,15,5 and citra & Amarillo hopstand for 30 min at 175degrees then dry hop both citra and Amarillo for 5 days (.75oz each).

About to bottle a somewhat similar iteration of this on Saturday. Actually, more like inspired than similar... Love the MO-Vienna-Munich backbone! Left out the crystal this time altogether, bittered with citra, similar schedule throughout the boil otherwise, but added a hop stand with 2.5 oz cascade, and dry hopped last Saturday with 2 oz cascade and 4 oz of citra. Gravity sample when dry hopping tasted great. (Used WLP 007). First time using citra, so I'm excited to see how this comes out. Coming in at 7%, and much drier without the crystal - so again, this was probably more inspired than similar to the original recipe.

I didn't use a "citrus" hop persay. I used an exclusive Galaxy hop on this once it was delicious. I also used an exclusive El Dorado hop on this... Keep in mind I also added a pound of MO as I was afraid of my efficiency being low. My favorite so far has been the El Dorado. My yeast strain was WL California ale (forgot the exact number) 001-002 I think... Due to where I live I use exclusively White Labs. The last time I bought yeast it was three days old. (I live like 3 miles from the White Labs building).

My opinion on this recipe is that it is a great recipe for a base for just about anything, any type of hop seems to go great as long as you scale/modify your hop schedule to keep the IBUs in check... Cheers!

Looks like I will brewing another batch of this great beer. I recently posted asking about using different hops. I changed course again and want to go with Mosaic as the main hop and another hop, maybe citra, simcoe or Amarillo or any other suggestions for hops. What would be a good hop schedule? I will use Cascade or Columbus for bittering.
These are the hops I currently have.
Amarillo
cascade
citra
Simcoe
mosaic
galaxy
Columbus
chinook
centennial

I'd probably bitter with Columbus, simply because you'll achieve the same IBU's with less (compared to cascade), and can save more for later flavor/aroma additions. I just bottled a cascade/citra variant last weekend - tasted great at bottling. (Bittered with citra for the same reason above). The original all cascade is great, though!

...Forgot I posted about this a week ago. [emoji16][emoji482]. For details on the hop schedule I used in my variation, see a few posts above.

if you still want it to be a pale ale you'll have to scale the hops down to lower the ibu otherwise its an ipa, both citra and amarillo have higher ibu ratings than cascade

I don't really think that IBUs define an IPA, rather the sheer amount of hop flavor. I make an IPA with this recipe by bumping up the malt and just adding more post boil hops. The bitterness stays low, but the flavor goes through the roof.

Not sure how this thread can still have the same title as many times as the original recipie has changed. Going to brew the original, or as origonaly posted, Da Yoopers House Pale Ale. Will also be my first APA and first attempt at dry hopping.

Not sure how this thread can still have the same title as many times as the original recipie has changed. Going to brew the original, or as origonaly posted, Da Yoopers House Pale Ale. Will also be my first APA and first attempt at dry hopping.

I've never changed the recipe, except for maybe the yeast (see the note in the original post:Edited to add new information: I don't use S05 much any more as it never clears well for me and can have "peachy notes" I no longer like. I love WLP001 for this beer, which is very similar but clears a bit better with no "peach" notes. I also mash at 152 with my new system, as I get better attenuation that way."

The original recipe is solid, and I know you'll like it!

Brewed the original recipe, used the Vermont yeast from gigayeast. Taste going into secondary was great. I'll be pulling out the dry hops tomorrow and force carbing.

I've never changed the recipe, except for maybe the yeast (see the note in the original post:Edited to add new information: I don't use S05 much any more as it never clears well for me and can have "peachy notes" I no longer like. I love WLP001 for this beer, which is very similar but clears a bit better with no "peach" notes. I also mash at 152 with my new system, as I get better attenuation that way."

Going to try it with us05 for now but will ferment a little higher, from what Ive read 65-70 should eliminate any peach flavors. Should be brewing this tomorrow.

Do you have a recommended water profile that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Going to be doing a modified version today....using exact grain bill.

Doing a FWH with Columbus, and Citra for all the late additions.

Using US05, as that's what's on hand.

First time making it, but the mash smells delicious.

Update....here's what I did...having no Cascade on hand.

Columbus 0.5 oz FWH
Columbus 0.5oz 15M
Citra 1.0 oz 5m
Citra 0.75 oz flameout

IBU 45

OG 1.054

US05 rehydrated.

Do you have a recommended water profile that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I generally go with something like a "general" middle of the road profile- not too much sulfate like in many pale ale profile0s.

Generally, something like this:

Mash pH 5.4

Calcium 80, Chloride 50, and sulfate 125-150. Pretty middle of the road.

I brewed this last year and really liked it. Would like to make a change or two. Has anyone tried this using Golden Promise or a mix of MO and Golden Promise? What about adding 5% Honey Malt in the grain bill?

This will be on tap April 2nd for beer tasting event. I really like this beer.
Da Yooper rocks! Thanks for the awesome recipe:ban:

Kegged mine the original recipe version last weekend on gelatin, beer is real clear but not much head on it. Could it be not quite carbed up yet or is it something else?

Thank you Yooper! I have used this recipe for all my ales. I have tweaked it a bit from time to time but I wanted to say thanks.

The batch I have going now has got an extra pound of MO and since I got the last 1.5 pounds of vienna I subbed 1.5 pounds of victory. I know they are not even close but I thought it would be a nice addition. I used an exclusive El Dorado hop schedule to match the IBUs of the original. Will dry hop next weekend. Will post a pic once bottle conditioning/carbonation is complete.

Thanks for the recipe! I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this using BIAB about 8 days ago. This is only my second brew on my own (had some help from a good mentor).

Fermentation at approx. 66 degrees F took about 4 days using S-05. Original gravity was 1.050. I just took a gravity reading today and it was 1.018, which was exactly what BeerSmith projected.

So...things have died down in the fermenter. I was wondering if it would be bad to dry hop at this point? I know it's a little impatient but my first batch was a bock and I'm still lagering after 5 weeks in. I'd like to sample the fruits of my labor.

I usually let the beer sit for two weeks, then dry hop for a week. But in reality you could hop and bottle as soon as you get no change in hydro samples. This method, however, does not allow for the yeast to clean up any off flafors that were produced in tje first few days of the ferment.

I was just reading about different dry hop procedures last night. One that seems to give the best hop flavor is dry hopping while fermentation is still going. Right when high krausen is coming down. The yeast activity help with the hop flavor. I'm trying it with my next batch

I was just reading about different dry hop procedures last night. One that seems to give the best hop flavor is dry hopping while fermentation is still going. Right when high krausen is coming down. The yeast activity help with the hop flavor. I'm trying it with my next batch

Interesting. I've read in many articles that a lot of hop aroma is lost when doing this because the yeast fall out of suspension with hop particles attached. You should update this in a new post on your experiment with results.

Back