Floor malted bohemian pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Czech Pilsner with it a couple months ago that is drinking great now. I think it has a maltier flavor than the standard Bopils, although it is a subtle difference. I did a triple-decoction based on a schedule Weyermann published that didn't include a protein rest. The decoction didn't include a protein rest, so the malt really isn't under-modified. That said, I actually got better head retention on the one I brewed with the standard BoPils and a 15 minute rest at 127 F a few months earlier so it might be worth adding a short one.

Hope that helps, certainly a malt worth trying, but not something you need to go way out of your way for.

I brewed a Czech Pilsner with it a couple months ago that is drinking great now. I think it has a maltier flavor than the standard Bopils, although it is a subtle difference. I did a triple-decoction based on a schedule Weyermann published that didn't include a protein rest. The decoction didn't include a protein rest, so the malt really isn't under-modified. That said, I actually got better head retention on the one I brewed with the standard BoPils and a 15 minute rest at 127 F a few months earlier so it might be worth adding a short one.

Hope that helps, certainly a malt worth trying, but not something you need to go way out of your way for.
Just out of curiosity is this malt suitable to do a single infusion mash ? I ask only because I see you mentioned it is not under modified and also I am not setup for a step mash nor feel confident tackeling a decoction mash ( I have only done single infusion ) thanks for any advice.

Just out of curiosity is this malt suitable to do a single infusion mash ? I ask only because I see you mentioned it is not under modified and also I am not setup for a step mash nor feel confident tackeling a decoction mash ( I have only done single infusion ) thanks for any advice.

It will work, although you may not have perfect clarity or head retention. Doing a step-infusion mash really isn't that tough though.

It will work, although you may not have perfect clarity or head retention. Doing a step-infusion mash really isn't that tough though.
I'm not asking you to give me a full explination of how to do this but how can I do a step mash in a 10 gallon igloo cooler ?

Start with a thick mash to hit your 127-131 protein rest, then add boiling (or do your calculations) to hit saccrification temps with a thinner mash. Add even more boiling water for a mash out, if you desire.

I'm not asking you to give me a full explination of how to do this but how can I do a step mash in a 10 gallon igloo cooler ?

Mash in your kettle, then transfer to the cooler after mash-out for lautering.

Awesome I never thought to do that duh I feel stuipd now so basically just do a thick mashe ie. 1.2qt per pound to hit first step than add and additional .25 qt to hit 2nd rest than mash out if desired thanks never thought to step mash without a stovetop and kettle.

also a really good idea the thought had crossed my mind but any advice about transfering to my MLT without aeration issues I keep reading about hot side aeration and it has instilled the fear of God in me not to do it.

also a really good idea the thought had crossed my mind but any advice about transfering to my MLT without aeration issues I keep reading about hot side aeration and it has instilled the fear of God in me not to do it.

Hot side aeration is a non-issue in homebrewing - don't worry about it.

Back