More Stuff to Freak Out About

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahareid

Reaction score
I posted a thread a few days ago freaking out about the lack of activity in my airlock, but now I know my beer is fermenting because I've peaked in a few times and it's definitely developed a krausen ring. My question now is, why have my past three hydrometer readings been 1.02? Shouldn't that have changed a little bit by now? It's only been fermenting for a week now, so maybe I'm just trying to find new things to get spooked about. Somebody help reassure me!

Hey I got the same problem. I've checked three times since I noticed the airlock wasn't bubbling and it's dropped for .022 to .02 in 5 days

patience grasshopper!

I know it's hard, but let that bad boy GO!

I usually wait at least 2.5-3 weeks to take a hydro reading from the fermenter. The more you open it up and stick stuff into your wort, the more likely you are to introduce an infection.

If you've got krausen, you've got fermentation. Let the beer ferment, let the krausen fall, then wait at least a few days and take your next hydro reading :)

What was your recipe? :)

RDWHAHB - I just went through what you are talking about after what appeared to be a very fast ferment...took nearly 2.5 weeks to get to my FG, and I didn't bottle for a full three weeks. The waiting game sucks, but I think all is ok given that it's just been a week thus far.

This really is a bad hobby for people who don't have patience

but it is a great hobby for procrastinators.

as the recent posts have said, RELAX!!! it'll get there :D as snowveil said, where there's krausen, there's fermentation. let it sit. it can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months to ferment, based on style. you'll build up a supply, and drink 1 while the next 1 is fermenting. getting started is the hard part. as i was told early on: relax, the yeast knows what it is doing. take a reading maybe 2 weeks after pitching (if it's still). take another reading 3 days later. if they're the same, it's done. if not, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew

Stuck fermentations can be frustrating (been there with a lager or two), but aside from the gravity readings we don't have much info from you to decide whether you are actually stuck.

Stuck fermentations can be frustrating (been there with a lager or two), but aside from the gravity readings we don't have much info from you to decide whether you are actually stuck.
patience grasshopper!
What was your recipe? :)
you've got it guys!

first brew, wasn't too sure exactly what I was doing. the recipe was a little something like:

6lbs light malt
1/2 lb wheat malt
1 lb munich grains
1 lb honey
hallertau hops
saaz hops
some regular ale yeast, pitched a little warm

if any of that helps, that'd be awesome!

very important: what was the yeast? different yeasts have different expected final gravities

Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast. I just did a little research on it, and it's an English Ale yeast. I didn't know this at the time. Maybe this link will help answer some questions? It talks about colder temperatures, whereas I pitched it warm:
http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/nottingham-ale-yeast

edit: I also pitched the 11g pack

That explains a bit. Nottingham has had issues with yeast recalls in the past, and I've seen a few complaints about them on here. (Not trashing on Nottingham in general, just one more reason I use liquid. :p)

Did you make a starter, or at least re-hydrate the yeast prior to pitching? Either will give an indicator as to the vitality of your yeasties.

Soytenlee!!! Nyuck nyuck nyuck...[/lame Curly voice]

But yes, dry yeast needs to be re-hydrated prior to pitching. There's a few benefits:

-It ensures that the yeasties are alive & well before being dumped into a massive buffet/yeast orgy.

-Just dumping them dry can accomplish the goal, but because the cell walls aren't acclimated to temperature yet (takes anywhere from a few seconds to 30+ minutes from what I've read), they're more susceptible to leaking and/or breaking, and therefore, lower yeast concentration.

There's a good suggestion on how to go about rehydrating here. Depending on what your final gravity should be, you're probably fine with leaving it for another week or 2, and then bottle as normal. At this point, re-pitching another pack of yeast won't accomplish much since you're near the range of what most final gravities are.

let it ride... don't double down yet! put the top back on wait 10-14 days (from now) you'll be at 1014 or better. Hey the longer you wait the better the yeast does it's clean up. and you may actually get a better tasting beer after 30 days. I've had it happen, and carbonation seems to happen abit quicker when a new different sugar (corn sugar) is introduced. relax have a home brew if you got it... may or may not depending on a new brewer status... if not get a micro and wait...

So checked my gravity again today stil .020, called MWS and they said leave it another week. didn't realise fermentation takes along time

Do you knock the bubbles out of the beer before taking a reading ? Also, stop taking readings and do something else, like post on here and read about brewing. Or brew another batch. Or work in an orphanage.

But stop taking readings and wanting to bottle it in less than three weeks. You have to let nature take its course, man [/hippy voice]

Do you knock the bubbles out of the beer before taking a reading ? Also, stop taking readings and do something else, like post on here and read about brewing. Or brew another batch. Or work in an orphanage.

But stop taking readings and wanting to bottle it in less than three weeks. You have to let nature take its course, man [/hippy voice]

LOL too much stuff made me Laugh!

"Also, stop taking readings and do something else, like post on here and read about brewing. Or brew another batch. Or work in an orphanage. "

&

You have to let nature take its course, man [/hippy voice]

Laugh as I did! ALL good advice!

Back