Aurora IL, Japanese Beetle Spotted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Japanese beetles swarm in a way you don't see in domestic species that have evolved within the ecosystem... June bugs and the like will be small in number. If you are in Chicago you really only have to worry about Japanese beetles (aside from the usual aphid/mite/caterpillar pests)

Well, Japanese beetles swarm in a way you don't see in domestic species that have evolved within the ecosystem... June bugs and the like will be small in number. If you are in Chicago you really only have to worry about Japanese beetles (aside from the usual aphid/mite/caterpillar pests)

The June bugs (look up green june bugs) swarm low to the grass and are all over the place here. Look and sound like giant bees flying around. Kind of dumb too, running into walls and stuff.

Update-Haven't seen any beetles on any of plants (marigolds, hops, unknown vines, shrubs, or trees) in the last 4 days.

Oh, cool. I suppose that's good unless that thing was something worse.

If you grow any soft fruits like peaches or figs they can be devastating. Those F'rs eat the $%& out of our ripening peaches. :mad:

We are growing figs too but I don't think they are ripe enough yet.

I'm on the NW side of Chicago.

I knew something has been munching on a few leaves for a while now. Saw a japanese beetle this morning and took care of him. There hasn't been too much damage, so I'm hoping there aren't too many more.

Back