Measuring Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
Greetings,

A couple of nights ago I was bottling up a Honey Ginger Lager and found a package of priming sugar that had come with a beer kit that I got for Christmas. I have always used 3/4 cup of priming sugar which is what I measured out of the package. The package was labeled as having 5oz of sugar which I assume was ounces of weight not fluid ounces which I understand are ounces by volume.

When I measured out 3/4 cup of sugar I still had approximately 1/4 cup still in the bag. I am pretty sure the kit indicated to use the entire bag which would be more priming sugar than I am used to using. I have always been a little leary of using too much sugar to avoide bottle bombs.

What's the deal here?

The Priming sugar bags I get usually contain about 5oz., a little more than the suggested 3/4 cups in many kits.

My suggestion, Buy a kitchen scale, they are anywhere from $5 for cheap one that are accurate enough to $35 for digital ones.

The amount of priming sugar also varies on the temperature, the warmer the beer, the more priming sugar you should use. I've used everywhere from 4.0 to 4.6 oz.

Thanks for the info. I am a little confused as most of the books I have read, well ok the 2 books I have read, say to use 3/4 cup of sugar (Dextrose).

Is measuring the weight a better way to go?

Yes, measuring is the best way to go. I had a problem with carbing and got sick of gushers and undercarbed beer and since I've been measuring they are turned out carbed perfectly.

I always use Priming Sugar (corn sugar) for bottling. Some people use DME which I've heard works well.

Thanks for the info. I am a little confused as most of the books I have read, well ok the 2 books I have read, say to use 3/4 cup of sugar (Dextrose).

Is measuring the weight a better way to go?

Definitely. Sugars have different granular sizes, and it can "pack" down, giving you a dffferent amount each time you measure 3/4 cups. I have a little kitchen scale that I use for hops and priming sugar, and it works great!

Measuring by volume is not as accurate. Even serious bakers weigh their flour because of the changes in volume based on manufacturer and weather.

Ok weighing sounds like the way to go...pun intended.

But, since different sugars have different densities how do you know how much to weigh? I know dextrose is generally the most commonly used priming sugar, and perhaps DME is second.

Histo stated that temperature has an impact so are we talking temp at bottling time? At that point most of my brews are pretty close to room temperature or somewhere between 68-70F. What's the default weight for Dextrose and/or DME at that temp?

Thanks
TC

I like to use this calculator:
TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator
It takes into account the temperature of the beer at time of bottling and gives you the amount of sugar to use to hit the average amount of carbonation for a particular style. Then you can decide if you want to tweak it a few tenths of an ounce one way or the other for personal taste.

Latest posts

Back