Argg car trouble, anyone have any idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago I noticed that everytime I went over a bump or a dip in my 05 honda civic hybrid, I heard a nasty scrapping grindy noise from the front left wheel when the car was coming down from the bump or hitting the lowest point of the dip. I took it too a mechanic ( My dads known the guy since he was like 5, so I know he is not ripping me off). He says its some loose bolt and he claims he fixes it and does not charge me anything. Well, I get it and the grinding noise is still there. I take it back and he says its some bushing in the front left suspension. So, I just got it back and I look at my bill and he replaced a the front left strut but the noise is now worse. WTF? I think he might just be driving it along a flat parking lot to test it and not flexing the suspension. I am going to take it back tomorrow and have him ride with me so he can hear it himself, but does anyone have any idea what this could be. I did a pretty good google search but I could not find anything. Thanks!

good lord, if the mechanic did not test drive, AND duplicate the noise for himself, he needs to go out of biz...

if he said it was a bushing, well there is only a lower control arm on the vehicle with a bushing. i would really need to hear said grinding noise... sure it is not just a loud/harsh squeek?
can you duplicate it by pushing down on the fender?

struts and control arms may squeek very loudly. since the strut is new, that leaves the LCA.... however, swaybar bushings can get pushed out, and the sway bar will hit the bracket and make all kinds of racket.

quick sugggestion... open the hood, and push down on the strut tower NOT the fender to try and duplicate the noise ;)
i am very, very familiar with the suspension on your vehicle.

good luck!

If no one is in the car and I push on the spring well or the fender I cannot hear the grinding. If someone is in the car, and I push on the front end hard enough, you can hear the grinding. Any idea?

First off I mainly work on Fords. This time of year I would make sure there is not any small stones or gravel stuck in the bottom of the coil spring. Sometimes they will make a creaking or popping noise as the spring compresses.
Also if you can make the noise while bouncing on the fender. Have somebody else feel various parts of the suspension. It is much easier to feel the problem than hear it.
Good Luck.

check the swaybar link, and mounting bushing.
next up, lower control arm bushing. needs to go on a hoist and look at it with light.

I would suggest the sway bar links and bushings ... but I don't think they have a "grinding" noise but a rather large bump (thud) when you go over bumps.

I took it back to the mechanic and he said he is pretty much stumped. I let him have it another day because he said he wants to try and figure it out. This is the second time I have heard bushings might be the issue (I googled it and some truck owner had a similiar issue and it was a bushing). Would the mechanic be insulted if I ask him later on today if it could be the bushings? He says that whatever it is, its just a noise and is not effecting the safety of the vehicle.

Back