How do you say Wyeast!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So i realized after talking to AHS customer support this morning asking about my yeast I recieved on tuesday that I dont know how to flippin say Wyeast! I felt like an idiot. Is it Double-U-Yeast? Wooohyeast? Anybody else have this problem?:drunk:

I say Why-east.

If you drink enough beforehand, you can probably just slur it enough that nobody will be sure of what you said. :drunk:

Why-Yeast is how I've heard it. I usually tell them "Because you'll have a hard time fermenting without it" *bum bum chhhh*

Yeah, I think this came up in the Brewing Network interview with Dave Logsdon (owner). He pronounces it "why-yeast".

In that interview, he also explained where the name comes from. Wy'east is the local Native American name for Mt. Hood which is right in their backyard and the mountain on their logo (I assume).

Yeah, I think this came up in the Brewing Network interview with Dave Logsdon (owner). He pronounces it "why-yeast".

In that interview, he also explained where the name comes from. Wy'east is the local Native American name for Mt. Hood which is right in their backyard and the mountain on their logo (I assume).

Yup, they're located up near the town of Hood River in the shadows of Mount Hood. I was up there a month or so ago, and there's also a winery called Wyeast Winery or something.

<smartass>

I pronounce it "White Labs Pitchable Yeast", or WLP for short :D

</smartass>

I really am not sure of how else you can actually pronounce it besides Why-Yeast... What is the alternative??? Wyeast seems pretty easy to me.

I really am not sure of how else you can actually pronounce it besides Why-Yeast... What is the alternative??? Wyeast seems pretty easy to me.

Double-yoo yeast. Or Why-east. In fact, the latter seems more right than "Why-yeast." There's only one 'y' in the name.

I know it seems easy, but it just doesnt look right for the correct pronunciation, Why-yeast is more correct than Wyeast. Just sayin.....

Tomato or tomAtoe?

Troob, Kroyzen, Wert (I majored in German in Uni, that's where these words come from and I don't think they got bastardized in translation. Also it should be spelled Krauesen, there's an umlaut on the u(whenever you see an umlaut just add an e after the vowel.) Also trub should have an umlaut but it doesn't get used in the English language so Trueb would be more accurate, making the pronunciation a little easier for us English speakers.)

I was just going to mention that. I listened to that archive last night. Working my way through them slowly but surely.

Trubb
Krow-sen
Wert

How about Rauchbier? ROWWWSH, RAWWWSH, or RAWWWK? We have a rauchbock on tap right now and I bartend tomorrow... Would be nice to know how to say it. Personally, I hope ROCKBOCK is acceptable!!!

before i just found this forum, every time I looked at it I would just read Weast haha. I dunno why but im so used to calling it Weast I probably wont stop

"Why Yeast, you look so handsome today..."

Why Yeast = Wyeast... I just wanted to put a cheesy line

Back