Oatmeal Stout All-grain, any advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33rm3

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an Oatmeal Stout this weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, eg. crush size, mash temp as well as any recipe tweaks.

6# Marris Otter
1# Simpson crystal 60
1# flaked oats
.5# Roasted barley
.5# Chocolate malt

1.50 oz EK goldings at 60 min

I was thinking a single infusion mash at 155

Thanks

I can not remember if roasted barley or chocolate malt is appropriate.

One is used for stouts and one is used for porters. i suppose the rule is not hard and fast but this is what i remember hearing listening to one of Jamil's brewcasts.

Looks like a great recipe. I'd go with it exactly how you've got it. Check out the one in my recipe list. I've brewed it several times. It always turnes out great!

Rev, a lot of stout recipes call for 1/2 lb of each. He's good there. A lot of times porters won't use the roasted malt, though.

it's definitely roasted barley for stouts and chocolate malt for porters but yeah i think thats especially chocolate malt in stouts is ok in small amounts. Mash temp looks good too. This looks like its going to be awesome, im waiting for my oatmeal stout to stop lagging! good luck!

Thanks guys and i think mashing at 158 is a good plan,

and is safale 04 an appropriate yeast

I needed a "next recipe". This looks like an excellent one. :mug:

I'll probably morph this into a chocolate stout in a couple weeks. A Chocolate Oatmeal Stout sound any good? I used to love those cookies:)

I would stick with your original recipe and mash at 155. That recipe looks good. Some times I add some flaked barely to add to the creaminess of the oats but it is a personal choice.

I really like the taste of chocolate malt in beer. Black patent used to go hand in hand with porter, but who cares, I say add what you like, what you want. I wouldn't go about 155F for the mash, it might become too sweet.

Back