Adding Pork To Venison Summer sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rclonber

Reaction score
I have about 30 lbs. of venison with alot of fat to go with it. Alot of the recipies call for a couple of pounds of pork to go with it. I am assuming that the pork being added is to add extra fat to a lean meat. If I have enough venision fat (about 7lbs) to add to the meat do I need to ad pork?

I have nothing to add other than :drool: (but yes, it's my understanding that because venison is so lean you need the pork or just pork fat for the fat)

Venison fat isn't very good, so most folks add pork fat or beef fat. I just made about 45 pounds of smoked links using half venison and half lean pork trimmings and it came out great. I'd recommend either a small amount of beef or pork fat, or add 25-50% lean pork. Lean pork trimmings still have some good fat in there. I definitely wouldn't use the venison fat though.

Good luck!:mug:

Edit: I just realized you're making summer sausage and not smoked links. I'm not sure what percentages are recommended for that, but I still say avoid the venison fat and add beef or pork instead.

We always buy pork shoulders and go 50/50 deer to pork.

Yes, as stated, the deer will be too lean and you need some fatty pork to get the right texture and taste.

good luck
Kevin

Like they said...
If you want good sausage, use good meat and that means trimming your deer really good, no white in deer meat, no fat, ligaments and mostly no "ankle meat", period !

There's a local organic farm up the road, that does all their own slaughtering. Can I just buy pork fat to throw in with venison? I have a summer sausage kit to try first, but wanna make up some venison brats.

yeah I wouldnt use the venison fat. Walmart sell a 3lb pork/pieces that is a good fat/meat mix that is pretty cheap. I have been using this for years. You also dont have to mix 50/50 unless you are going for volume instead of taste/health. I usually only go 80/20 venison because I want the meat to be venison and not pork and it is healthier :)

walmart-bacon-ends-pieces.jpg

Me and my Dad just made sausage this weekend. We made 25lbs and we made a %30 mix with good soft pork fat. is came out really good. Do not use venison fat it will rune you final product.

Back