Chunky yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnkleKunkle

Reaction score
What's going on everyone. I just finished my third batch of beer (my first all grain batch) today and had a question about the yeast. Usually i take my yeast out of the fridge one hour before putting into my primary fermenter with the wort. This time when I was brewing i took it out of the fridge an hour and a half before putting it in. As I put it in, I shook it and dumped it as usual, it came out with a few chunks in it. I gently broke up the chunks, closed the lid, and put the action guage (the thing that bubbles, haha) on and let it go. MY question is was the yeast bad because I had it sit out too long or was it just chunky this time?

Thank You :ban:

Nope, it's normal on certain well floculating yeast to be well compacted, you can now RDWHAHB.

:mug:

Nope, they're pretty hardy. You just broke up their little slumber, now they will PARTY ON!!!

Back