How would you describe Extract Twang?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboom

Reaction score
I've heard it referred to as extract twang or extract bite, but it's a certain flavor that only haunts extract brewers. My first two attempts at brewing have turned out OK. But both have a similar flavor that I can't put my finger on. It doesn't really match any of the common off-flavor descriptions. It's sort of sweet and one person described it as cidery. I don't think it's a sanitation problem. Everything was cleaned well with Easy Clean. I fermented at a lower temperature the second time to eliminate that possibility ~67F.

The first was an amber ale using a can of Coopers Draught and a Muntons Light- prehopped, added 1 oz fuggles at 45 min.

The second is a Brewer's Best Robust Porter Kit - Steeped grains, 2 cans of Amber extract. I don't have it in front of me, but I can post the recipe later if you need it.

My third attempt is in secondary. That extract came in a plastic tub and not cans, so maybe there will be a difference there.

So I'm thinking maybe this flavor is that "extract twang." How would you describe that flavor?

your probably right, especially when it comes to liquid extract. Although i do believe you can brew exceptionally awesome beer with extract, i believe there is a certain extract-iness about them, (at least mine and others ive tasted).

I find that when you do partial mash beers, and/or use dry extract, the line between extract and full mash becomes thinner, or less apparent.

this year ive been doing BIG partial mash beers: getting as much as 50 percent of fermentables from mashing grain, and these beers are indistinguishable from all grain. Not only in taste, but they are crystal clear as well.

Hmm never experienced that. and since I started adding all but 1# of extract for the last 10 min I have been able to get much lighter more true to style color beers.

What do you use to prime the beer? Some brewers report a cidery taste when they use corn sugar for priming.

Kai

I am using corn sugar to prime.

Also my porter seems to be taking a long time to carbonate. I just tried another one tonight. After two weeks in bottles I get a hiss when popping the top, but no bubbles. I assume it just needs a little longer. It tastes good though! :mug:

Wet cardboard or a weird flavor (maybe slightly metallic) on the back of my tongue.
As budbo said, all but 1# last 20 min of boil.
Switch to DME; LME can have off flavors if not fresh.
Boil uncovered.
Boil the largest volume of wort that you can.
Mini/partial mash with specialty grains for better flavors and color.

:mug:

Don't just stand there - BREW!!

budbo said:
Hmm never experienced that. and since I started adding all but 1# of extract for the last 10 min I have been able to get much lighter more true to style color beers.

Are you saying to just add 1# for 50 min, then and add the rest, and then boil for the remaining 10? I'll try that next time. My beers always seem too dark.

beerlover84 said:
Are you saying to just add 1# for 50 min, then and add the rest, and then boil for the remaining 10? I'll try that next time. My beers always seem too dark.
You need some wort in the boil to extract the hops.
I don't remember the full relationship, but 1# is enough.

Back