Beer of the week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being the innovative mother****er that I am, I've been thinking of proposing this for a while, now is as good of a time as any.

How about a weekly (or bi-weekly, or even monthly, I don't give a rip) beer tasting where we all get the same beer and conduct an online tasting. We'll create a separate thread for each and comment on tastes, smells, notes, memories, etc. on each one.

We will try to find beers that are fairly easy for everyone to find, and we'll start off with easier ones and get harder to find and more elaborate beers down the road. We'll keep a calendar of upcoming beers so we all have plenty of time to acquire that week's tasting.

Sound cool?

If everyone thinks the idea is "money", then we'll ask TxBrew to set up an entire section where we can have each thread for future references. I think it will be a blast.

They will get better with time, but of course the first offering has to be "the Champagne of Beers", right?
mabel1.jpg

:rockin:

Discuss.

I say that if we do, we do it by thread in the sampling/critiquing forum. It doesn't get much use as it is Plus, I think we've got about all the subforums we can handle.

SwAMi75 said:
I say that if we do, we do it by thread in the sampling/critiquing forum. It doesn't get much use as it is Plus, I think we've got about all the subforums we can handle.

Yep.....

I can't wait to do this.....I'm wondering how many of these brands we all can get:

Chimay?
Arrogant Bastard?
Other Stone beers?
DFH?
Dead Guy (and all the other Rogue faves)?
Sierra Nevada?
Yeungling?

Etc.....

thats a great idea...i think ill skip the first week though, not 'cuz im a beer snob, i just dont have a refined enough palate to describe all the subtle complexities of a miller high life beer...

Ivan Lendl said:
thats a great idea...i think ill skip the first week though, not 'cuz im a beer snob, i just dont have a refined enough palate to describe all the subtle complexities of a miller high life beer...

LOL...dick..... ;) :p

ahh...the low life.... i'm in.
i just have to find a good package store around here so i don' t have to buy a case of each of these beers.

It could be worse, it could be Miller High Life Light.

Total Wine and More is going to come in handy for this, they sell a ton of individual bottles.

I'm in, but I ain't in on the High Life... I would, but at $3 bucks a skunky imported bottle, I'm too damn cheap. The Rouge stuff is all available here and the 3 Chimays as well, so I will happily participate in those.

Helyeah! Count me in!:mug:

I'll even go do far as to order a MHL on tap. In public. Where I can be humiliated behind my back by people who don't know me. And those that do know me will huddle behind my back and discuss a possible intervention.:(

Rhoobarb said:
Helyeah! Count me in!:mug:

I'll even go do far as to order a MHL on tap. In public. Where I can be humiliated behind my back by people who don't know me. And those that do know me will huddle behind my back and discuss a possible intervention.:(

No way. You'd be the coolest guy in the bar. If you weren't already. That puts you on Chuck Norris level there, man. :rockin:

Very Un-Dude said:
No way. You'd be the coolest guy in the bar. If you weren't already. That puts you on Chuck Norris level there, man. :rockin:

Remember, if you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death....
:off:

Well, I guess I can do this. My brother drinks the stuff, so there's one in my fridge. Here we go.

Twist off cap. That's usually the biggest "don't drink this" clue to me.

Pouring it into my glass - carbonation not too bad Actually, it's a nice level. For an American lager, it's not overwhelming.

Color: Transparent with slight golden color. When held at the right distance, I can watch TV through it. Head remains a thin layer throughout its time in the glass.

Nose: Very faint, barely a hint of beer.

First taste: Clean, crisp. Is this beer? It really doesn't taste like it.

Several tastes later: I am so not enjoying this. It's too thin, it's too tasteless. I really can't notice any hop flavor - or malt profile.

Halfway through: This stuff just goes down like water. It makes me burp a lot and is totally not satisfying. The head retention is beautiful, however. I've had enough and the rest goes down the drain.

Hey Dude, are you taking suggestions for next time? Something we could enjoy? I'd recommend Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (man it's gooood), but I know we can't all get it. Maybe Newcastle Brown or Michelob Amber Bock as far as common beer goes.

The happy mug said:
Well, I guess I can do this. My brother drinks the stuff, so there's one in my fridge. Here we go.

Pouring it into my glass - carbonation not too bad Actually, it's a nice level. For an American lager, it's not overwhelming.

Color: Transparent with slight golden color. When held at the right distance, I can watch TV through it. Head remains a thin layer throughout its time in the glass.

Nose: Very faint, barely a hint of beer.

First taste: Clean, crisp. Is this beer? It really doesn't taste like it.

Several tastes later: I am so not enjoying this. It's too thin, it's too tasteless. I really can't notice any hop flavor - or malt profile.

Halfway through: This stuff just goes down like water. It makes me burp a lot and is totally not satisfying. The head retention is beautiful, however. I've had enough and the rest goes down the drain.

Thanks for ruining it for me.....

The happy mug said:
Hey Dude, are you taking suggestions for next time? Something we could enjoy? I'd recommend Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (man it's gooood), but I know we can't all get it. Maybe Newcastle Brown or Michelob Amber Bock as far as common beer goes.

Definitely....suggest on!

I doubt all of us can get Breckenridge.....I know we can't get it here....

I got mine, a 40oz beauty. This is the only size that they had as a single :confused: . When are we starting?

Kai

Very Un-Dude said:
How about Friday or Saturday night? 8 ish Eastern time?

This sounds like a good general time for me.
This weekend I'm out of town. So I may not have internet access at that time, but that's only me. I'll sample mine tomorrow and will write something up that I can post later when I have time.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I got mine, a 40oz beauty. This is the only size that they had as a single :confused: . When are we starting?

Kai

Well if you got yourself a 40 you have to drink it out of a paper bag. That's the rules there sir Kaiser. If you have a public park to drink it at, even better. :mug:

istockphoto_713453_beer_bottle_in_brown_bag.jpg

The happy mug said:

aren't all of sierra Nevada's bottles twist-off?

I'm seeing a lot of good beers starting to use twist-offs. This annoys me, as I can't re-use the bottles. (It is this very reason that I don't drink many beers from SN!)

anyway....

I'd like to join in on this, but I am not going to buy a whole 6-pack of High Life for sure. Ima get all ghetto up in this ***** and get a 40 like The Kaiser. Hell, I might even STEAL the 40 just to be cool. ;)

-walker

Very Un-Dude,

I think that is a fantastic idea! Count me in!

If Miller in a 40 is first , don't tell me Haffenreffer in a 40 next.....

If it is, I don't care... if the group wants to critique a beer, I'll drink it for the good of the cause.:ban:

I'm sure most of you have a High Life in the back of the fridge or somewhere in the pantry that someone brought over to a party at some point (unless you've used it on bratwurst like me). You just have to look in unlikely places.

you can get a thirty pack of highlife for 11 bucks... drink them all in one night and get up and go to work in the morning :D

t1master said:
you can get a thirty pack of highlife for 11 bucks... drink them all in one night and get up and go to work in the morning :D

yes, the 30 pack.... as if 24 bottles of piss just isn't enough. :D

I'll be surprised if I can choke ONE of them down. I probably could after having a couple good beers first, but straight out of the gate??? Probably not.

Imperial Walker said:
yes, the 30 pack.... as if 24 bottles of piss just isn't enough. :D

I'll be surprised if I can choke ONE of them down. I probably could after having a couple good beers first, but straight out of the gate??? Probably not.

I'm gonna struggle with the first one too, but we HAVE to do the "champagne of beers" as the first one, we just have to!

I'll be drinking mine out of cans!!! Yeccchhh!!!!!!!

Imperial Walker said:

Man, it's gotta be outta the gate or else you won't be straight enough to properly critique!

Chairman Cheyco said:
Man, it's gotta be outta the gate or else you won't be straight enough to properly critique!

Yeah, I know. I'll drink it straight out of the gate for the sake of our goal, but I doubt I can take more than a few swigs. I promise I'll try, but I'll probably end up pouring most of it into tupperware with brats, like BeeGee mentioned.

-walker

Very Un-Dude said:
I'm gonna struggle with the first one too, but we HAVE to do the "champagne of beers" as the first one, we just have to!

I'll be drinking mine out of cans!!! Yeccchhh!!!!!!!

CANS?!?! Nothing but the 12oz long neck clear bottle IMO. (Or a 40 ;)) .

Latest posts

Back