Help- Ruined batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmorin

Reaction score
We just brewed our second batch last Saturday- A Raspberry Wheat. I am using a 6.5 Gallon brewing bucket as the primary fermenter. I went into the basement to check on it last night and it looks like the airlock become partially clogged and the pressure blew the lid halfway off. I did have a blanket wrapped around it (i dont know how clean it is), but the lid may have been off (3-4 inches) for a couple of days. I resnapped the lid on but i feel that this batch has to be ruined. Is there any hope for this batch? and what is the best way to tell? Thanks.

There is a great chance that it is just fine, during the fermentation process co2 is forcing oxygen out which keeps any nasties out too. I would say as long as the blanket didn't end up falling in the bucket it should be fine. Even if the blanket did fall in, wait it out and see, beer is pretty resilient once fermentation kicks in.

Well there's only one thing to do now:
not-tagged-smiley-12164.gif

Srsly, it's probably fine. It takes more than you think to ruin a batch. Never assume a batch is ruined until you taste it and it makes you spit it back out. Do NOT dump this, just let it be. The only way to tell is just to wait until you rack to secondary and taste it.

Is there any hope for this batch?
Yes
and what is the best way to tell?
Finish it, then taste it. Hopefully the CO2 kept any nasties away but you can only tell by letting it finish its course and trying it out. If something untoward starts to grow during fermentation, you might want to ask questions about it but primarily the method is to finish and see if it is okay.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Rick

Also this is a great excuse to start another batch "just in case". Then when it turns out to be fine you have double the beer!

Thanks guys. I am going to transfer it to my secondary tomorrow (5gal. carboy) and taste it then, is there anything that would be a givaway in the leftover sediment and krausen? Thanks again.

Do a search of "is my beer ruined ?" threads and you'll see the things that have happened to peoples beers AND still the beer turned out fine...You'll fine that lid blowoffs are quite common...

Have you taken hydrometer readings? You shouldn't rack any beer til fermentation is complete. You can also leave the beer on the yeast cake for several weeks to let theyeast clean up after themselves..it will make for clearer and crisper beer.

I havent taken any hydrometer reading, thats actually one thing we forgot to do when we brewed. I guess i will take readings for a few days in a row and see if its constant. I am in the process of ordering some more fermenters so i can leave them be for longer....right now i dont have the patience i just want to brew more batches! Thanks

When the lid blew off you probably had a good level of Krausen going so this will usually ward off any serious nasty to mess with your beer. Just clean the pail and lid with a clean towel, and pop your lid back on and you'll be fine.

I had a blow up on a stout that I did that I didn't catch for over 24 hours, it turned out fine, and so will yours!

RDWHAHB!

Welcome to the world of wheat beers. I have had 2 blow off. I plan to use a 6.5 gallon carboy with the bunge hole completely open (stop laughing now). I plan to have a 1.25 inch blow-off hose.

Back