Look at this Sierra Nevada Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
Whaddayathink about this Sierra Nevada Clone?

8.50 lb Pale malt 2-row
1 lb Briess 40L Crystal Malt-6 Row
.5 lb Briess Wheat Malt
1 oz Cascade 60 min Bittering
1 oz Cascade Finishing
White Labs California Ale WLP001 yeast

I think the hop bill is too short. My SNPA has 1 oz of Pearle and Cascade at 60, then Cascade at 30, and 5, then dry hop. It comes out pretty tasty.

davebl said:
I think the hop bill is too short. My SNPA has 1 oz of Pearle and Cascade at 60, then Cascade at 30, and 5, then dry hop. It comes out pretty tasty.

+1, I just tasted my second pale ale and the hops were about perfect with 3oz total. My first used 2oz cascades, which was fine but not as aromatic or flavorful as the SN Pale is. Actually, their website lists the type of hops used, IBUs, etc right here: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html.

Disclaimer: I am still a noob at this, and doing my first AG Pale Ale tomorrow :ban: . I am sticking with the following recipe:

9# 2-row Pale
2# Vienna
1# Crystal 40L
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Wilamette
Wyeast 1056 (activator)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss

Brew on!:mug:

Definitely short on the hop bill. Here is mine for my SNPA clone. Gets you to the correct IBU (37), uses the correct hops, and includes a dry-hop:

0.33 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
0.33 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

RoaringBrewer said:
Definitely short on the hop bill. Here is mine for my SNPA clone. Gets you to the correct IBU (37), uses the correct hops, and includes a dry-hop:

0.33 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
0.33 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Mmmmmmm...

Chris_Dog said:
I don't think you will need the wheat either.
I think you're right on that - I've been looking around for SNPA recipes and none of them have wheat in. But having said that, I just got Jamil Z's "Brewing Classic Styles", and I'm amazed at how many of his recipes have a little bit of wheat in. It might not be an exact clone of SNPA, but I bet the little bit of wheat would be an interesting addition.

Danek said:
I think you're right on that - I've been looking around for SNPA recipes and none of them have wheat in. But having said that, I just got Jamil Z's "Brewing Classic Styles", and I'm amazed at how many of his recipes have a little bit of wheat in. It might not be an exact clone of SNPA, but I bet the little bit of wheat would be an interesting addition.

The wheat is usually for head retention. Some brewers just rely on the Crystal and some add Wheat. It definitely won't hurt...

Back