Bottle Conditioning Temp & Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliprose

Reaction score
I have been using my back basement for my primary/secondary/bottle carbonating/bottle conditioning area. The temperature at this time of year ranges from about 60 degrees to 64 degrees. I am on my 5th batch of ales and have only used dry yeasts so far: Nottingham and Safale US-05.

I am trying to understand what I tasted in a young Pale Ale in the bottles 1 week made with US-05, after 1 week primary & 1 week in secondary primed with corn sugar - fermentations appeared normal.

My sample bottle had some carbonation but it obviously wasn't done carbonating (although there were some bubbles). It also had some fairly strong butter (diacetyl ?) tastes that weren't there when I sampled prior to adding priming sugar and going in the bottles.

I haven't been nervous before, but what concerns me is the butter taste from the in the bottle 1 week sample, as my prior batches never had this buttery taste at 1 week and it wasn't there before the priming.

Assuming it is diacetyl will it go away with aging? Would it be better to move the bottles to a warmer area to get rid of diacetyl? Is this basement at 60deg- 64 deg area too cold or will it just take longer than at a higher temp?

I know the beer needs to age longer before drinking but as a beginning brewer I want to better understand the tastes at different stages mean I want to be proactive if I can help my beer along .

Thanks.

i've only noticed diacetyl with lagers. i honestly wouldnt worry about it, as you stated you know it will need to age more. 4 weeks from now you'll be pounding them back wondering what you were worried about!

If you only do your work in the 60-69 F temperature range you will be fine for most everything, *besides lagers*

Good to know that 60-64 F should be okay for everything, at least ale related.

I guess what confused me was the buttery taste that wasn't there when I put in bottles. I assumed it was diacetyl from the priming sugar that maybe wasn't clearing out due to the low temperature. I just wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be moving the bottles to a warmer spot for a while.

I'm not planning to drink for another 3-4 weeks, so I'll find out then what happened. In the meantime, I'll relax and have a homebrew.

Bump for this thread as I am having the exact same issue. One week primary, one week secondary, bottle conditioning and fermentation both in low to mid 60's. 10 days into bottle conditioning I opened a sample bottle. Carbonation is perfect and beer tastes great except for buttery taste that was not present at bottling.

Anyone else experience this? Will it go away?

Bump for this thread as I am having the exact same issue. One week primary, one week secondary, bottle conditioning and fermentation both in low to mid 60's. 10 days into bottle conditioning I opened a sample bottle. Carbonation is perfect and beer tastes great except for buttery taste that was not present at bottling.

Anyone else experience this? Will it go away?

3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @ 70, 3 weeks @70

Tasting and worrying about the flavor of a beer under 6 weeks (an definitely under 3) is a waste of time (the worrying part that is) more than likely that taste will be gone when thee beer has actually finished conditioning.

Just because the beer is carbed, doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ still.

Read this, and revisited them in a few weeks. Revvy's Blog, "Of patience and bottle conditioning."

Maybe I should have bolded the word sample. I tasted a sample and made an observation. I'm well aware of the standard bottle conditioning times. I'm merely noting the different between the flavor prior to bottling and 10 days afterwards (I actually do like to crack one or two open before three weeks is up to note the changes). It's an observation. I didn't say I was worrying about anything. I posed a pragmatic question about the effects of bottle conditioning on diacetyl levels.

And thanks for the post, but even though I haven't been on this forum for very long, this must be the 50th time I've seen you post that link. ;)

I understand that. Perhaps it is my fault for posing a question like this and expecting to actually discuss the effects of bottle conditioning on diacetyl levels over time rather than having it pigeonholed into another "3 weeks at 70 or GTFO" thread.

Well, to be fair, I don't think anybody is copping a "GTFO" attitude...at least I don't see it.

The OP is talking about tastes in a 1 week old bottle...there are lots of weird things still going on in there and it's maybe a bit premature to be talking about diacetyl.

A taste arc of 3 weeks --> 1 year would probably provide much more useful information.

Well, to be fair, I don't think anybody is copping a "GTFO" attitude...at least I don't see it.

The OP is talking about tastes in a 1 week old bottle...there are lots of weird things still going on in there and it's maybe a bit premature to be talking about diacetyl.

A taste arc of 3 weeks --> 1 year would probably provide much more useful information.

True. It's not really a "GTFO" attitude as much as it's ignoring the question and answering with something that I had no interest in getting in to but totally saw coming. I actually thought to myself when posting, "Revvy is about to come on here and post that same blog entry again." I guess it's what I get for reviving a thread in the beginner's forum rather than starting a new one elsewhere.

But I do think it could be a useful discussion. Whether talking about 3 weeks to a year, or 1 week to a year, it's still relevant. People might be in a situation from time to time where they need to get a batch ready in a pinch, so it doesn't hurt to talk about what specific things, such as diacetyl, that they might expect initially as opposed to several weeks later. I don't think it's pointless to discard discussion of what happens during the first couple of weeks of bottle conditioning just because conventional wisdom dictates that you normally would not be drinking the beer during that time.

Ahhh.

I totally see where you're coming from on this now. A new thread is probably in order. :)

The fact that the OP's beer was only 1 week old overrode the other issue(s) for me.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Diacetyl is produced by yeast during the reproductive phase and absorbed during the the rest phase. Any diacetyl in the beer was most likely there at bottling and just not noticeable. Aging the beer will lessen the diacetyl, but that is dependent upon the yeast.

For more info...Whitelabs - Diacetyl Time Line.

Diacetyl is produced by yeast during the reproductive phase and absorbed during the the rest phase. Any diacetyl in the beer was most likely there at bottling and just not noticeable. Aging the beer will lessen the diacetyl, but that is dependent upon the yeast.

FYI, Your link absorbed an extra period and gave me a 404 error.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

Yeah, that's what my thought is. A very slight hint of diacetyl doesn't taste buttery at all- but you may get a bit of "slickness" or oiliness in the mouthfeel or on the tongue.

If you have a lager, for example, that has a tiny bit of oiliness in the mouthfeel, it's a sign of diacetyl and it should be given a thorough diacetyl rest. If not, later on it'll present as "butterscotch beer". It seems to get worse with time.

In ales, there are a few strains that are notable for diacetyl but they can be produced in just about any beer. Allowing enough time to clean it up will help.

In this case, more time in the bottle may help, since refermentation occurs when bottle conditioning. There may be enough yeast in each bottle to digest the diacetyl. It may improve with further bottle conditioning.

thanks for the link, yooper. i was hoping for more information about the specific metabolic pathway and that link spelled it out pretty well. very useful.

Back