Using Mint in the mash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has every tried it? Had a mint chocolate porter one night and could have swore that the brewer told me he used mint leaves with the stems in the mash however doing some research I can't seem to find anyone else doing it.

No cause I remember questioning him on it cause I thought the same thing and I'm pretty sure he saide he added it to the mash. He may also "dry hop" with it as well but... Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

I recently tried to brew a mint chocolate porter. I did chocolate in secondary, mint extract in the boil. It was completely bass-akwards. None of the flavors stuck. It was a pretty legit porter though. Just nothing fancy

Reverse it. Put your chocolate in the boil, mint in secondary. If you boil the mint, it's either getting all boiled off or going right through your airlock.

I wonder about this actually. Mint tea is steeped in near boiling water, and definitely provides flavor and aroma.

I could see using fresh mint in large quantities in the mash. And then use dried in a hop-bag as a "dry-hop".

I might have to play around with this a bit.

chri5 said:
I wonder about this actually. Mint tea is steeped in near boiling water, and definitely provides flavor and aroma.

I could see using fresh mint in large quantities in the mash. And then use dried in a hop-bag as a "dry-hop".

I might have to play around with this a bit.

I do mint blond ales. Using mint from my garden. The mint flavor is so fresh and clean. I use only leaves. I'm worried the stems would give off grassy flavors. I put them in starsan then directly to fermentor. For duration of the three week fermentation process. I'm not saying to not mash mint but i know from experience dry hopping them works well. I don't measure since i just harvest them and pitch but I use a lot.

I do mint blond ales. Using mint from my garden. The mint flavor is so fresh and clean. I use only leaves. I'm worried the stems would give off grassy flavors. I put them in starsan then directly to fermentor. For duration of the three week fermentation process. I'm not saying to not mash mint but i know from experience dry hopping them works well. I don't measure since i just harvest them and pitch but I use a lot.

A mint blonde? Sounds like a beer my SWMBO would enjoy. :mug:

I assume you keep the bitterness low, and let the mint be the aroma with few late hop additions?

Yes the Bonde Ale recipe from Brewing ClassicStyles. AllGrain mashed lowto get a thin mouthfeel with high attenuation. A summer beer. A low AA hop. I think saaz. .

Now I've had the same idea for my next batch would you use chocolate nib's or straight chocolate in the boil? Because in my experience in cooking with chocolate it tends to burn very quickly and that would leave a bad taste. I recently did a Honey / Vanilla Wit that turned out very nicely w/ Honey in the boil and two whole ( split ) beans in the secondary

I recently made a chocolate mint stout. I added the mint (chopped) to the secondary. However next time I will take the time to pick the leaves from the stem. I am getting a woody/earthy notes that seems out of place, I am assuming its from the stem.

Back