Interesting find.... is it a brew kettle/fermenter combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcb

Reaction score
I recently acquired this as a craigslist find. It is built like a tank and came with a propane burner. It is a jacketed 40 Gallon (1BBL) conical fermenter that holds pressure and is mostly made of 1/4" and 1/8" thick 304 Stainless Steel. From the discoloration on the bottom I can tell that whoever has used this beast has heated the bottom of the cone and the base actually looks like a heat shield for a burner as opposed to the standard welded on legs design. Has anyone seen/used anything like this before? My assumption is that this was actually designed an all in one malt extract brew system/fermenter combo. It has three 1/2" FPT couplings welded on top kind. I'm adding a 1.5" Sanitary coupling on the lid for blowoff/thermowell and plan on playing around with cooling efficiency through the jacket with an aquarium chiller coupled with a band heater for ranco controlled stable fermentation temp out in the garage.

beast.jpg

beast_bottom.jpg

It's a boilpot alright, but not for anything you'd worry about gettin crystalized/caramelized in the drain. ;)

interestingly enough the output is a 1/4" pipe and has a Perlick faucet on it so I'm still thinking that my first guess about it being some kind of turnkey 1BBL brewery is still ringing true....

Advantage? Maybe it is really sterile, since you never have to sanitize the Fermentor.

Disadvantage: You can't brew again while you have a batch fementing.

DPB

I'm strictly using is as a heated/cooled 1BBL conical but I think it is necessary to do a group brew day on it with BIAB or extract just to say I have done it!

I added a thermowell and a ranco controller to control the drum heater and sump pump for the cooling reservoir...

Back