lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
So I made my first lager. It has been lagering for about 3 weeks now, has another 3 to go. I have a belgian witbier that stopped fermenting. I believe it got too cold. The belgian was at room temperature.

My question is, would it be ok to take the lager out of the fermentation chamber for a little bit and put the belgian in there to raise temps?

Did you take a gravity reading on the belgian? How do you know it stopped and just isn't finished? Room temp should be OK. I'd leave the lager alone, I would think you could find a warmer spot.

Yea its been stuck at 1.032 from 1.048 for about 4 days. I did use raw wheat at 40% and 2 row at 60%. I did a cereal mash. Thinking I might have too many unfermentables. It is sitting in my basement. Got down to about 66° over night.

Yeah, that's stuck alright. To answer your original question, it won't hurt the lager to pull it out, after your done with the Belgian, I'd bring it back down and lager for at least 3 more weeks. But, with the cereal mash and the high percentage of raw wheat, that throws another variable in I think, as far as fermentability. What yeast did you use?

Looks like you've covered the basics then. If you don't have another warm spot in the house to put the Belgian, and maybe rouse the yeast while you move it, I guess your best bet is to pull the lager out and let it sit to the side for a bit (try to keep it as cool as possible). Although I have nothing to base this on, I think if you interrupt your lagering, you'd be basically starting over with the lagering stage when you do drop it back down. If it's good at 3 weeks though, call it good.

As far as your Belgian goes, I'd be more concerned about the raw wheat/cereal mash and that you got full conversion rather than the temp (since the temp isn't TOO low) especially since you pitched a good starter.

Good luck, I hope you get the wit down.

Latest posts

Back